441 - 457 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
You can but it didn't work very good for me. I dont recommend using it

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You can do quick learns with ezlynk now, correct? So that takes away the long drawn out process.
I haven't tried one with the ezlynk but I did do one with AlfaOBD. Pretty sure it's the same process? While it seemed to work I felt I had better (lower and more what I was used to seeing) CVI values doing it by the drive easy method.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You can do quick learns with ezlynk now, correct? So that takes away the long drawn out process.
The quick learn only gives a base level. You still need to drive to get the trans to learn the cvi values. You can watch them during the relearn and you will see them stabilize. I use the 4C number as my tell.
And before you argue about it, it is the same process the dealer does after they flash your truck. It is why the truck drives and shifts like crap for the first few hundred miles after a flash.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Sor
The quick learn only gives a base level. You still need to drive to get the trans to learn the cvi values. You can watch them during the relearn and you will see them stabilize. I use the 4C number as my tell.
And before you argue about it, it is the same process the dealer does after they flash your truck. It is why the truck drives and shifts like crap for the first few hundred miles after a flash.

using Tapatalk
Sorry, no arguing here. I was just throwing some info out there. My truck drives exactly how I want it. You guys seem to be the SME’s. 🍺

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Mtnrider,

@mtnrider My truck is the same year as yours and looks to be a similar setup. I have been running the "CMER SOTF 0-200 HP W/TCM Tuning V2.1D" and the trans tuning is very close to stock in my opinion, just higher line pressures. The tow/haul mode does hold the gears longer and downshifts more aggressively than the standard mode but I think that is normal. I have ran #1 - #3 on the switch without noticing any smoke. It has been my experience that the trans tunes really don't settle in until you put about 300 - 400 miles on them so you may want to give them a few hundred miles before switching. I also tend to play it on the safer side with the relearn period staying at or under 30% throttle for at least 50 miles and then under 50% for another 50 miles. May be overkill on the relearn but I'm trying to get the longest life out of my trans.
Do you happen to know the shift points and lock up on the 2.1D? It's going to be the next one I try so just curious (trying most of them just to get a feel). I would probably skip it if the 6th gear is shifting up near 60mph though.

So far 1.6.9 with basic TCM has been going good for me. It's very "stockish" which is what I like. Not seeing any mpg gain to speak of in the tow (30HP) switch setting but can feel a little boost in HP when I get on it. For longevity of the truck I really don't want to go over a 30HP setting even though I drive like the old man that I am. I really have no desire to replace my transmission at any point.

The 2.1D description is a bit lacking (as usual)
It says "3rd gear lockup in tow/haul" So what is the lockup in regular mode?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed 5” TBE over the weekend and installed EZLYNK. Purchased SOTF tunes from CTT with lifetime support. Am I safe to run the CMEA ER SOTF 0-180hp V1.7.9 tune or do I need to complete EGR and throttle valve deletes first?

·
Registered
472 Posts
You are safe to run it. You don't have to delete either of them. Just unplug them. I deleted my EGR but my throttle valve is still there.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My EGR is still in place (about 2000 miles so far), I only removed the DPF and SCR . I didn't even unplug them? There were no instructions so not sure if I was supposed to or not but it doesn't seem to affect the truck. I do have the EGR delete kit but I'm just sitting on it for now. Not sure I want to remove everything or not at this point.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do you happen to know the shift points and lock up on the 2.1D? It's going to be the next one I try so just curious (trying most of them just to get a feel). I would probably skip it if the 6th gear is shifting up near 60mph though.

I went ahead an loaded up 2.1D SOTF with TCM tuning to try so I can answer my question if anyone is curious....

Here is the shift strategy. This is regular mode, not tow/haul
1 - 0mph
2 - 13mph
3 - 25mph
4 - 34mph (locks after shift)
5 - 51 mph (locked shift)
6 - 60 mph (locked shift)

Just loaded it so still in the learn process but shifting seems very smooth with no flare or clunking around. Down side for me is that 60mph 6th gear, it's a little higher then I like. Given the types of roads I drive it leaves me in 5th too long and a bit high in the rpm because I am cruising right around that ~58mph mark.
Going to try it for a tank though and see how it pans out and if I can get used to it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went ahead an loaded up 2.1D SOTF with TCM tuning to try so I can answer my question if anyone is curious....

Here is the shift strategy. This is regular mode, not tow/haul
1 - 0mph
2 - 13mph
3 - 25mph
4 - 34mph (locks after shift)
5 - 51 mph (locked shift)
6 - 60 mph (locked shift)

Just loaded it so still in the learn process but shifting seems very smooth with no flare or clunking around. Down side for me is that 60mph 6th gear, it's a little higher then I like. Given the types of roads I drive it leaves me in 5th too long and a bit high in the rpm because I am cruising right around that ~58mph mark.
Going to try it for a tank though and see how it pans out and if I can get used to it?

@mtnrider Sorry for the late reply. Those shift points match what I'm seeing with 2.1D as well. I think the only way you might get that ~58 mph cruise in 6th is to accelerate past 60 and then back off but I'm sure that would get old fast. Other than the shift points, how does the tune run for you? Seeing any smoke?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
@mtnrider Sorry for the late reply. Those shift points match what I'm seeing with 2.1D as well. I think the only way you might get that ~58 mph cruise in 6th is to accelerate past 60 and then back off but I'm sure that would get old fast. Other than the shift points, how does the tune run for you? Seeing any smoke?
No worries. I'm trying to get a base line of these tunes anyway so I was going to try it one way or another. Want to build a list of some of the basic info on each one so people have some idea what they are?

I'm still taking it easy (about 100 miles on it now) so not sure about any smoke yet. We are getting rain from that storm the next few days as well so it might be the weekend before I am able to run it up a little bit and see.
So far it seems pretty nice other then the high shift for 6th. I'm wondering if they could change that if I requested a mod to that tune? I think If I could bump it down to ~57 it would be perfect for me. I do think my mpg will be slightly down from the 1.6.9 I was just running but it's a little early to tell (not a big deal, just a data point)

·
Registered
799 Posts
The tune I'm running 3.6.1 shifts to 5th at 45 and 6th at 55. That's light throttle cruising. I will hold that gear for 6 to 8 mph below that number. Not sure why they couldn't send you that one tho

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The tune I'm running 3.6.1 shifts to 5th at 45 and 6th at 55. That's light throttle cruising. I will hold that gear for 6 to 8 mph below that number. Not sure why they couldn't send you that one tho
Yeah, they sent me 3.6.0 (not 3.6.1 that I asked for) and it shifted earlier like you said but it had some crazy shift flare/lock/unlock thing going on around 3-4? It was really erratic and It was a no go for me because of that. I loaded it twice just to make sure it wasn't a bad load and same thing so I moved on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ask them for the 3.5.1 it has a 4th gear lock up you might like. More like the stock trans does

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ask them for the 3.5.1 it has a 4th gear lock up you might like. More like the stock trans does
maybe when I get through trying this 2.1D I'll ask them. It was like pulling teeth to get the 3.6.0 (and I asked for 3.6.1) so a little frustrated with the process right now. They seemed very reluctant to send it and kept saying I have the newest (v4).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, i think they are really trying push the new style tune. But i passed, truck made really low boost and the motor runs better on boost than just fuel.

using Tapatalk

441 - 457 of 457 Posts