Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

421 - 440 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question on the SOTF switch and tune levels. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 2014-2018? trucks only have 4 tunes using the switch and not 5? Is that true? I tried to go back and find where I read that but couldn't find it. Also what HP levels are each one? CTT shows these levels (for a 0-180 tune) but if you only have 4 what are they and which one did they drop. And what position on the switch does nothing if you only have 4, 1 or 5?... Or am I just dreaming I read that?

• 0 HP – Optimized Stock
  • 30 HP – Tow
  • 80 HP – Sport
  • 130 HP – Performance
  • 180+ HP – Maxx Effort
Truck is a 2016 btw..

I just installed everything this weekend. Started with the Intact 2.1 SOTF W/TCM tuning but did not like the shifting, specifically holding 5th for so long. I drive lazy country back roads most of the time and kind of like the stock trans shifting for that.

When I wasn't happy with that I went ahead and tackled removing everything and went with CMER ER SOTF 0-180hp V2.1. This does not have TCM tuning and while it is still in re-learn I like it better so far.

Anyone have any recommendations on any other tunes that have the most "stock like" behavior for TCM tuning?

I don't have anything above the 2.1 series at this point. (1.6.9, 1.6.9.1, 1.7.9, 2.0, 2.1, .2.1B, 2.1D etc.)

my understanding the shift points are moved higher so avoid low speed lugging which is sup better for those overdrives

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyone experience a harsh 3rd gear torque converter lockup? If so did it settle down after some miles? How many miles did it take?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had numerous tunes with a harsh 3rd gear lockup. They never settled down for me. The most I put on with one of those tunes was a little over 3200km's.

Edit: I should add that they weren't as harsh when the transmission was cold but as soon as it got over 100°F it got harsher.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had numerous tunes with a harsh 3rd gear lockup. They never settled down for me. The most I put on with one of those tunes was a little over 3200km's.

Edit: I should add that they weren't as harsh when the transmission was cold but as soon as it got over 100°F it got harsher.
They told me it would calm down so I waited a while to see. It’s only been about 100 miles but it has not improved even a little bit so I’m not so sure it’s going to start settling. I’v been watching my CVI values and the 4C ALT keeps climbing. I think it’s associated with that shift?
I played around with the Shift firmness setting and have it shifting real smooth now so I’ll see if the CVI starts to drop.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have to say, CTT is very responsive to answering questions but very vague with answers. Was trying to ask questions about the difference between Basic TCM tuning, TCM tuning, and Revmax TCM tuning (several tunes have those in the name but nothing about them in the descriptions) and the answer I get is "all are fine to run"? That wasn't my question?

Same with tunes, so many have no description at all so was asking what was different and the answer was, the higher numbers are newer? That doesn't tell me anything?

I asked about getting 3.x.x tunes because I said a few people have told me they like them and I wanted to try them and was told I have 4.0 and that's the newest so I guess they won't give me the 3.x.x series?

I don't think I am asking for any company private information here? Some constructive criticism if they follow here - They need to organize, label better, and give more detailed descriptions of the tunes. It's kind of a crap shoot right now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
my understanding the shift points are moved higher so avoid low speed lugging which is sup better for those overdrives
Go to the 1.6.9 tunes to set a baseline. Converter is locked between shifts but not during shifts. There is a little flare but not much. The truck runs better than stock and the shift points are a little higher. It gets rid of the lug from the 3-4 shift.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Go to the 1.6.9 tunes to set a baseline. Converter is locked between shifts but not during shifts. There is a little flare but not much. The truck runs better than stock and the shift points are a little higher. It gets rid of the lug from the 3-4 shift.

using Tapatalk

Which 1.6.9 did you run? I've got several and no real description of the difference. I asked CTT but didn't get an answer other then they are Ok to run? I have TCM tune I have basic TCM tune I have ones with nothing? I have 1.6.9 and 1.6.9.1 and 1.6.9.1(1) (think that might just be a dupilicate?

·
Registered
476 Posts
1.6.9 Sotf with tcm tuning. It has higher pressure for the tcm but that only applies to full throttle. I like the 30 hp setting on the switch for towing but the 80 gets better mileage daily and smokes a little too much when i get on it.

using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just called CTT and they indicated I have to go through a dealer to get the EZ Lynk and their tunes. Can I not just buy the EZ Lynk on Amazon and get the tunes directly from CTT or are you guys going through a "dealer"?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Question for anyone using the auto agent app to monitor.

What is the difference between "Transmission Line Pressure (A) and (D)"? I assume "A" is actual? and maybe "D" is requested/commanded? or is "D" something else?

Also anyone have a recommendation for a 2016 tune to try that doesn't smoke? I'm running "CMER ER SOTF 0-180HP V2.1" right now (no trans tuning) and even on the 30HP setting I am getting a good bit of smoke if I accelerate to get on a highway or pass? Not stomping on it, just a normal ~50% throttle run up to get on the highway etc. I hate rolling coal so prefer something a little cleaner if anyone has a recommendation

Prefer something with stock like trans tuning or no trans tuning as well.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
D is Desired
A is actual
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I've always seen it called "commanded" so couldn't figure out what "D" meant.

On a side note, interesting to see that even stock (no TCM tuning) the system desires more PSI then the trans can provide? Looks like the trans tops out at 160psi? but I often see the desired go 180-200

Reactions: cwendel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I already have an EZ Lynk Auto Agent 2... Can anyone recommend a decent online reseller for CTT to buy just the tunes/subscription from.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Question for anyone using the auto agent app to monitor.

What is the difference between "Transmission Line Pressure (A) and (D)"? I assume "A" is actual? and maybe "D" is requested/commanded? or is "D" something else?

Also anyone have a recommendation for a 2016 tune to try that doesn't smoke? I'm running "CMER ER SOTF 0-180HP V2.1" right now (no trans tuning) and even on the 30HP setting I am getting a good bit of smoke if I accelerate to get on a highway or pass? Not stomping on it, just a normal ~50% throttle run up to get on the highway etc. I hate rolling coal so prefer something a little cleaner if anyone has a recommendation

Prefer something with stock like trans tuning or no trans tuning as well.

Running the 1.6.9 tune. Less smoke.
1.7.9 tune the same but 1.6.9 tune shifts better.

using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Running the 1.6.9 tune. Less smoke.
1.7.9 tune the same but 1.6.9 tune shifts better.

using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm trying the 1.6.9 with basic trans tune right now. For my style of driving I prefer "stockish" trans shifting. I tried 1.7.9 revmax trans tuning a couple days ago and it was by far the smoothest of the trans tunes with locking the torque converter earlier etc.(outside of the basic trans tune) but the shift points were a little too high for my taste. That seems to be a theme with most of the trans tunes so far. Some of the others with trans tuning were a little "clunky" but the revmax is pretty smooth for what it is.
Also tried 3.6.0 and it had a weird thing going on with 3rd gear shifting so didn't go very far with that one.

Right now out of the ones I have tried it's 2.1 with no trans tuning (runs great but smokes a little) and 1.6.9 with basic trans tuning I like the best. 1.6.9 Seems a little less responsive then 2.1 but less smoke so far. Only have 100 miles on it so still trying to keep it under 30% throttle for a little longer so have not fully tested it. CVI's seem to have settled in though so it's probably fine.

I'm trying to build a database of shift points and notes so I can keep track of what tune does what since the descriptions are pretty useless on most of them.

Reactions: cwendel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I'm trying the 1.6.9 with basic trans tune right now. For my style of driving I prefer "stockish" trans shifting. I tried 1.7.9 revmax trans tuning a couple days ago and it was by far the smoothest of the trans tunes with locking the torque converter earlier etc.(outside of the basic trans tune) but the shift points were a little too high for my taste. That seems to be a theme with most of the trans tunes so far. Some of the others with trans tuning were a little "clunky" but the revmax is pretty smooth for what it is.
Also tried 3.6.0 and it had a weird thing going on with 3rd gear shifting so didn't go very far with that one.

Right now out of the ones I have tried it's 2.1 with no trans tuning (runs great but smokes a little) and 1.6.9 with basic trans tuning I like the best. 1.6.9 Seems a little less responsive then 2.1 but less smoke so far. Only have 100 miles on it so still trying to keep it under 30% throttle for a little longer so have not fully tested it. CVI's seem to have settled in though so it's probably fine.

I'm trying to build a database of shift points and notes so I can keep track of what tune does what since the descriptions are pretty useless on most of them.

Mtnrider,

@mtnrider My truck is the same year as yours and looks to be a similar setup. I have been running the "CMER SOTF 0-200 HP W/TCM Tuning V2.1D" and the trans tuning is very close to stock in my opinion, just higher line pressures. The tow/haul mode does hold the gears longer and downshifts more aggressively than the standard mode but I think that is normal. I have ran #1 - #3 on the switch without noticing any smoke. It has been my experience that the trans tunes really don't settle in until you put about 300 - 400 miles on them so you may want to give them a few hundred miles before switching. I also tend to play it on the safer side with the relearn period staying at or under 30% throttle for at least 50 miles and then under 50% for another 50 miles. May be overkill on the relearn but I'm trying to get the longest life out of my trans.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Mtnrider,

@mtnrider My truck is the same year as yours and looks to be a similar setup. I have been running the "CMER SOTF 0-200 HP W/TCM Tuning V2.1D" and the trans tuning is very close to stock in my opinion, just higher line pressures. The tow/haul mode does hold the gears longer and downshifts more aggressively than the standard mode but I think that is normal. I have ran #1 - #3 on the switch without noticing any smoke. It has been my experience that the trans tunes really don't settle in until you put about 300 - 400 miles on them so you may want to give them a few hundred miles before switching. I also tend to play it on the safer side with the relearn period staying at or under 30% throttle for at least 50 miles and then under 50% for another 50 miles. May be overkill on the relearn but I'm trying to get the longest life out of my trans.

I'll give that one a try, thanks. I have been doing minimum 100+ miles under 30% for each relearn, usually doing a full tank before going over that so more like 450 miles most of the time so It should be plenty settled in by then.

Most of the trans tunes so far seem to move 6th up to around 60mph and that's too high for the lazy back country roads I drive daily. It leaves me in 5th and too high of an RPM for my liking since I'm right around that ~55-59mph mark.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'll give that one a try, thanks. I have been doing minimum 100+ miles under 30% for each relearn, usually doing a full tank before going over that so more like 450 miles most of the time so It should be plenty settled in by then.

Most of the trans tunes so far seem to move 6th up to around 60mph and that's too high for the lazy back country roads I drive daily. It leaves me in 5th and too high of an RPM for my liking since I'm right around that ~55-59mph mark.

I figure I’m around 3500 km an trans still changing some. Not ctt but I don’t think the trans learning cares who tuned it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I figure I’m around 3500 km an trans still changing some. Not ctt but I don’t think the trans learning cares who tuned it.
If you can feel it still changing after all those miles your a better man then me. 400 is more then enough for it to be settled in. Either way, the shift points are not going to change so you know what those are going to be right away.

421 - 440 of 457 Posts