Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06 mega auto 4x4. 228k.

Ok so, just bought the truck 21 days ago, the guy who owned the truck had a lifetime power train warranty and never modified it. Bone stock as bone stock gets. He had receipts that was 2 folders thick of anything that was done to the truck. He took care of it when it came to anything, all fluids are in good condition and the truck doesn't leak a drop of anything anywhere however, I have this sometime ever so slight and mean slight little I guess you could say lope at idle but it comes and goes. But what concerns me is when I free rev the truck it does not come down smooth. It basically like acts like it fires and comes down and fires and comes down. As far as I know when I looked at the receipts he has never changed the injectors. Yes I know everyone is gonna say injectors. But, what in your opinions could this really be? I just changed the fuel filter with a baldwin pf7977 filter and still does it. I was thinking maybe the fca is being goofy, or the fuel pressure relief valve is being stupid and leaking. The truck pulls hard and gets up and goes, no miss, no falling on its face, no nothing. Accelerating normally there is no issue as well, its nice and steady. Starting up cold doesn't even give me a puff of black smoke and starts right up nice and crisp. Truck also has no codes at all, none. I even double checked with a wi tech 2.0 that my technician friend has that is built to read everything Chrysler/Mopar/Cummins. When I did a test run with my edge cts3, at idle my fuel rail pressure is at about 6,750-7k psi. When I floor it from a dead stop its gets up to about 23,500 psi. Those numbers sound normal to me. This video I posted is literally exactly what is happening with my truck. I was thinking of running a bottle of hotshots diesel extreme in the tank to see what happens and I know that basically made me point myself to injectors. So guys, reading the above info I gave you and the video below what do you think? Again this video is literally exactly whats happening to me.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
Your video shows puff of black smoke, simple things first check/clean air filter and plumbing/turbo good.
Then I would monitor demanded vs actual RP to help narrow down fuel issue.
FWIW I would not rev up stock CR like that .

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s not my truck in the video and I don’t rev it up that high like that guy does. What I’m saying is when he revs it up, it comes down choppy. I just installed a afe cold air intake in it 2 days ago so it has plenty of airflow. I have no way to monitor actual vs command rail pressure 🤷‍♂️.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope it just shows me the actual rail pressure. I’ve gone through the edge left and right and found nothing else really. I tried calling edge products but they won’t answer the god damn phones.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
These engines really aren't designed to be revved up with no load. When you do that the fuel rail builds up pressure and then you let off and the excess pressure has no where to go. My advice is to quit doing that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Injectors.
You can do them now on your terms or do them later when you least expect it. Either way, plan on it.
And add another fuel filter in line. Clean fuel is the key to a longer life.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
These engines really aren't designed to be revved up with no load. When you do that the fuel rail builds up pressure and then you let off and the excess pressure has no where to go. My advice is to quit doing that.
Again I know this, I’m not reving it high like that guy. I do it to about 1500 rpms. I’m just testing and you see that video reference about what’s going on with my truck.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel filtration is key, I’ve taken care of that. I’m running a bottle of hotshots diesel extreme in the tank and hope it helps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's been concluded that's its injectors on the way out on the truck. I called a couple of diesel shops in Indiana since that's where I live, and outlaw diesel performance said they will do it for 2,385.00. That's the injectors + labor + tax out the door. I'm assuming they are using these injectors because I told them I want stock replacements. https://anythingdiesel.com/products/bd-power-1074505-stock-performance-plus-cr-injectors. Looks like BD Diesel, but they never specified who made the injector over the phone but, they did say it comes with a 2 year warranty unlimited mileage and outlaw said they only install these injectors to provide a warranty which sounds good. I tried calling everyday so far this week and can't get a hold of them now. So what do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
That link states bd has been rebuilding injection systems since 72.... I’d assume reman. I’d take the advice above me. I have read countless threads about new injectors being an issue and bbi or new Bosch are the only remedy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
New BBI 0.1s or reman BBI 0.5s are in the same price range (ok, a little more..) but get consistently great reviews

Reactions: RollOver_Pete

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
With that shops warranty, should ask them if an injector fails and stick open and destroys a piston+ maybe the block if they cover that or not. I bet they don't and neither will BD, but the injector will be covered! Lol.

BBIs ridiculously low failure rate speaks for itself. Or go actual Bosch brand new. Too much risk in doing cheap remans.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It sounds like Bosch brand news are the best bet. But where do I find them? I’ve googled and all it does is give me links to diesel companies we all know. Anyone got a link?

By the way out of curiosity, how is BBI able to list reman injectors and new injectors on the website if bosch is the only one that truly sells new injectors?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reactions: RollOver_Pete
1 - 20 of 52 Posts