Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 truck, smarty, 63/68, fass 150, 100hp bms injectors, bop cp3. This is a daily driven work truck. I also pull a 14k trailer several times per year.

No 4wd launches, no drag racing. Just for fun on the street. Guessing I need a clutch good for 550-600hp. Looking for something that will last and a close to stock pedal feel. I don't want a leg workout while driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I would suggest the Valair DD organic. It's rated up to 550HP and it's for towing.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Other than that it may be hard to find a clutch that'll like towing that weight. Only other clutch I can think of will be a SB 3250 dual friction.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just posted a review on my SB3250. I don't think you could go wrong with a street DD whether it's a SB or Valair. I have heard great things about both. You definitely won't want a big single hauling that weight. Not saying it can't be done, but it won't be pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the life expectancy of either of those. Daily driving 90% of the time without a trailer?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure. I bought my SB since it was recommended for heavy hauling, not for the horsepower. I don't plan on bumping the Smarty passed level 5. It does everything I need it to do at SW5. I expect my clutch to last for a long time. Time will tell.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dual disk for sure. I have the south bend 3250 in my truck. Works great, clutch pedal is a little heavier than stock but I don't have a problem with it. Heaviest I have pulled is around 6000 pounds. Loaded or unloaded, no engagement problems. I believe it is good up to 650 hp and 1200 tq. Not quite positive tho

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just put the valair dd in mine and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong with valair our southbend but I went with valair just cause of what I have read about there costumer service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ceramic 3850 Valair DD organics great if you want to replace it every time you shift hard or do a boosted launch

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also they aren't really noticeably harder than stock

·
Registered
343 Posts
The street dual disks are not designed for sled pulling or too many boosted launches. I don't do either of those so a 3250 is perfect for me. TURBOCUMMINSBOY has a point. If you ever decide to drag race, sled pull or anything that is slips the clutch a lot, you won't want a street dual disk. The clutch disks can't stand much heat.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How involved is it to change out? I have plenty of jacks, tools, air tools. Don't have a lift though, truck sits pretty high so plenty of room to work underneath.

Any special tools needed? How many hrs for install?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
running a 3400# sintered iron triple from Kenny's Pulling Parts, no complaints on how it tows or handles. pretty smooth imo.

don't go with a clutch that is rated for where you're at, go bigger or you're going to regret it down the road. from everything i've read, the smoother, more "streetable" clutches are going to be the ones that have the lighter pressure plate loads.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have any skills at all and take your time it goes easy, no special tools and i did mine with a buddy in 4hrs.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The only single disk clutch that will hold that kind of power is the South Bend con-Fe. I used it for years and it is great, less costly, but does grip so it feels like you ran over a couple rocks when you take off in second.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should the pilot bearing be replaced? How do I know if my flywheel needs to be replaced or put on a lathe?

I'm definitely capable of doing the job. Just want to make sure and cover all the bases so I only have to do it once.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i love my sb dd. but in stop and go traffic it can bug someone.

Reactions: Jhenderson

·
Registered
325 Posts
With a 63 and 100's I'd imagine you're at least at 550, so buying a clutch rated UP to 550 or 600, might want to go the next step above so you don't have to go through another clutch because you didn't get one good enough the first time. Just my 2 cents, but as far as reading (no experience I'm an auto) sb3250 seems to be the best bet for you and most everyone is happy with it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Definitely change the pilot bearing and the throw out bearing each time you are in there. Don't use a lathe, find a shop with a blanchard grinder. With the South Bend DD clutches, a flywheel and bearings are included. I have seen their facility, and it is very impressive. I have also been very happy with their customer service. BTW, their head guy, Peter, comes to the May Madness rally each year in Nevada.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
i second kennys pulling parts as well. however if you truly will never truck pull or drag race or boost launch then just go with one of his dual disk. you can get one of his for 1k with everything-dual disk, flywheel, pilot bearing, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and necessary bolts. i suggest a really really big tranny jack and leave the t case attached . go rent one it makes it much faster and smoother

http://kennyspullingparts.com/TRUCK_PULLING_CLUTCHES.html

1 - 20 of 38 Posts