Cummins Diesel Forum banner

what chips best for 2000 cummins?

5K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  harperky 
#1 ·
I have an all stock, just kn air intake, 2000 5.9L auto 4x4 with 162000 miles on it. Im only gettin about 15 mpg and i dont drive like a bat outta hell. I want something mainly for power but also to raise those mpgs for drivin to school everyday. I was thinkin i wanted edge juice w/atitude but im not sure. Any advice???

#2 ·
get a lift pump first, no chip tell you got an after market lift pump for you'll cook you VP. An since you have an auto I would put an thing over 65hp chip unless you plan to build the trans

#3 ·
yeah im worried about my trans even tho no slippin yet. and yeah lift pump is comin soon, but what chip would you prefer?

#6 ·
what about the edge ez? aint the comp the same as the juice w/attitude?

#5 ·
i would say go with the Quadzilla XZT or the Edge EZ or the Diablo Power Puck... the EZ an the XZT are 65hp an the power puck is 50hp. But quadzilla offers alot of downloads off there site to make the XZT do more then just add power. An the Ez is a very good box too. Ive never been around a power puck but iam sure there just as good... But like I said get your self a lift pump. An you an run a bigger chip with the stock trans but you have to be care how you drive it.

#8 ·
yeah im thnking maybe the ez, but me being a teen haha i like that good ol smoke, will i get any with am ez? not that i have to have it i just love smoke haha

#9 ·
and how much power will i notice with jus 65 hp added?

#10 ·
Yeah I know what you mean, iam only 17 an I like my smoke too, but as far as the EZ an smoke pry not that much but search around an read on how to do a smoke switch after you install any kind of chip you an wire up a switch that makes the computer in the truck think its at full boost an it will give you all kinds of smoke.... most guys on here will tell you it now recommended but it can be done, an I have a lot of friends that run smoke switch with no problems. I run the XZT on my truck an it really lives up the truck from stock...

#14 ·
yeah not interested in a smoke switch haha, but yeah im thinkin pretty strong on the XZT now, i appreciate the advice bro. u run urs on the highest settin all the time? and did it help ur mpg?

#11 ·
i guess im gonna have to choose between quadzilla or the edge, which one would yal get???

#26 ·
I know a guy that used to pull trucks a lot and went to NADC. He is a Cummins guru around our place and he said the Edge Comp is one of the best. I'm 17 too and love that smoke and as soon as I get the money I am going to get the Edge Comp and put it with a Airdog on a 2001. Hope that is some help.

#15 ·
Yes the chip comes with a 3 way switch so you can run either stock 30hp or 65hp an I run my on 65 all the time... And as far as the MPG it all depends on how you drive it, I did notice around 1-2 mpg but I have a heavy foot...

#18 ·
moneys a prob with me, parents dont help me with nothin, so when my trans goes out imma be pissed cause its gonna, so ill just stick with the lower till i can afford intense if ya know what i mean hahaha

#21 ·
if you're looking for a xzt+ - i have one that came off my truck. only used it from one summer to the next . . .

i loved it and never regreted one thing about it. for that power level, you can't go wrong. if interested, shoot me a PM . . .

jason

#22 ·
hey man appreciate the offer but i got a guy that gives me hell of deals on performance products, and i only buy new lol. but thanks broo

#23 ·
no worries . . . i just want this off my bench, so i'm willing to get rid of it cheap . . . also, it was only used for 12,000 miles and i have all that stuff that came in the box with it, including original packaging . . . it is like new . . .

it was a great box for me at the time. only reason i took it off is because i went bigger. it upped my mileage slightly, and i could puff smoke pretty good if i wanted too . . . not much of a difference from a deadstop to full throttle, but way more passing power for sure, and way more upper rpm power . . .

#27 ·
Like I said I would NOT run anything over 65hp on a stock trans, you can run it but you cant beat on it... an we all know that none of us have any self control in this area, if you have the power there your gonna wanna use it... Just my .02

#38 ·
dont run a 65 hp chip on a stock trans? :rof: :hehe: 65 hp chips have no balls. there isnt much of a power gain at all. i had a power puck for a week and sold it. i couldnt notice much of a power difference and it was a waste of money. and you dont need a fass or an airdog with that small of a chip. theres not alot of fuel with them, if any at all. oh and ditch the Bully Dog, get some real power!

#28 ·
Anyone know how hard it is to install a adrenaline pulse, what's involved any wore tapping? Thanks

#29 ·
I agree that it would be hard to keep your foot out of it but if you could until you had enough to build the trans then it would be worth the investment. Just depends on how much self control you have. Im goin to end up gettin the edge before i build the transmission and will just have to remember to keep that foot light as much as i can.:agree2:

#30 ·
I love how emhoff has got heated leather seats that's sweet man cone with the truck or did you add it on

#31 ·
the heated seats come with the truck, the trucks with the leather seats.

For all you guys asking questions, go into each section and read all the stickies at the top of each sub section. You will learn a lot! Also, google moparman. This man knows A LOT when it comes to these vehicles. Keep reading then ask questions.

Before you start adding power to your truck you are gonna need the air and fuel to supply it. So you may want to look into an intake(BHAF or cold air intake), exhaust, after market lift pump(airdog/raptor or fass) NO DDRP!

#37 ·
go with the Quadzilla Adrenaline. i have a stock trans (for now) u can run the quad on a conservative tune with out any worries with busting your tranny. i run my truck on a 95-105 horse tune around town and it had great drivability and fuel mileage, i even run it on level 10 (180hp tune) when im racing and it doesnt slip the tranny, and when i race i beat on it pretty good, but i have zero problems. but dont run it on level 10 all the time if u plan on keeping a stock tranny for a while. Quadzilla will always have my vote for VP trucks. im also running an airdog 150 FP for more fuel.

#40 ·
Yes you do need some kind fuel system upgrade, even on a bone stock truck the fuel system isnt good enough... You wont think its funny when your VP goes out an your out $1200. An every truck is different just because you truck ran fine with the quad on level 10 dont mean that mine or anyone elses will... An I pull a 35ft gooseneck with about 15k on it all the time so the quad would eat my trans in a day or two, I have great luck with my bully dog an I also have a quad XZT thats in my fathers truck an I have noticed a difference with both boxes.

#43 ·
i upgraded my fuel system when i bought my truck and since then ive gone through 3 VPs... yea my truck ran fine, but it doesnt mean everyone elses wont be fine either, i also didnt say you can run it on 10 all the time and youll be fine, i said dont do it for very long... and thats fine that u have a bully dog, i was only kidding. its all a personal preference thing. alot of people have their favorites and different reasons they use thier chips, like for example you use a smaller box to help for towing and i use mine for everyday driving and racing. were all diesel lovers here! can we all get along. :thumbsup:

#42 ·
i like ruffles cheddar sour cream chips myself....haha

quad has 4k capability...but there is still many people with bugs

edge juice or comp....reliable and adds alot of power just not as much as quad....but my 2 cents go with what is reliable....Ill wait till quad gets its buggs worked out before i get one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.