Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what changed in the front end of the 2010 4x4's to increase the front axle weight rating to 5500lbs?

·
Registered
208 Posts
From what I've read here on this forum (or maybe others, I've drank since then), it's larger ball joints.

Hell, I've drank alot since then, I might have dreamed it up....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that I heard that the front axel U joints were enlarged and the associated hardware to accomodate the larger U joints.

·
Banned
626 Posts
What boiler guy said. Larger ujoints.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Knuckle, and u-joints for sure, not 100% sure on the ball joints. Weight increase and better turning radius are the results.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I haven't been under the truck yet, (only has 2400 miles) but I will have it on the lift in about 1600 more to service it. But I was just curious if the front end had more grease zerts than the older models. that was one thing i was a little concerned with, on all of my other trucks there were probably 6 or so zerts to grease all of the moving parts on the front end, and on my 07.5 it only had 2 (other than the phantom front drive shaft zert)

·
Registered
21 Posts
No grease fittings on the front end. Only point to grease is the front driveshaft double cardan joint.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hmmm. Well I know a sealed unit is good. I just always liked being able to grease everything every oil change. Just a little mental security..

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the 2010+ trucks will have the ball joint problems of previous generations?

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
They have slightly different knuckles and the front axle shafts use 1550 series u-joints. They also increased the size of the lower control arm bolt at the axle.

Reactions: johndeerrm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 SRW Laramie Crew and it rides significantly worse than the 2010 2500s I have driven. I also have cooled seats which are pretty stiff themselves, so that doesn't help. It does have the 3 thicker leaves on the back versus the 4 thinner ones for the 2500. I haven't driven a 2010 2500 Megacab, but I have driven 2007, 2008, and 2009 and they all ride smoother than my 3500 SRW. I would assume the longer wheelbase and weight would help the ride. Mine's pretty brutal, I was able to get a better deal on the 3500 because they had it on the lot and they couldn't find me a comparablely 2500 so I was able to steal it, I love it, but it still rides like a tank.

·
Banned
626 Posts
I think you're looking for the 2500/3500 srw differences thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts