Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was out messing around with my truck and I was getting on her pretty good and the tube on the top turbo popped off the clamp and boot (made a wicked pop too) and when i went to put it back in, i noticed a film of oil inside the boot.... i know that cant be good. So where would it be coming from? I also noticed that the truck has been kind of sluggish off line until it makes about 10psi, im assuming its because of this oil restricting air flow through the intercooler?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If it's the inter cooler boot your talking about then it could be coming from your turbo. My old truck needed the turbo rebuilt that's how I found out cause my pipe would blow off at the boot when getting on it hard first time it did that scared the [email protected]& outta me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's the inter cooler boot your talking about then it could be coming from your turbo. My old truck needed the turbo rebuilt that's how I found out cause my pipe would blow off at the boot when getting on it hard first time it did that scared the [email protected]& outta me.

Well the top turbo is new.... the bottom one i got used but seemed in really good shape.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hate to say it but it could be the bottom turbo pushing oil through the top one. Mine got bad enough it made its way through intercooler and in my intake horn. Not good. I hope that's not it but as far as I see that's all I know it could be.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is considered the cold side, where the turbo is pressurizing the air from the intake. Turbo seals are allowing oil to pass from the CHRA or center section where the bearings wheel the housing. Basically this happens if you push the turbo too hard and cause the shaft to move thus compromising the oil seal. Or the turbo is old.

I had an Audi that leaked tons of oil. I had to pour out my intercooler boots and intercooler every now and then. Nothing awful, the motor will burn the little excess oil off in the cylinders. If you see smoke that resembles the color of burning oil or if you see oil in the tail pipe, you need to fix the problem. I would keep an eye on it. Just know that turbo will need a rebuild sooner or later.

·
Registered
601 Posts
on diesel engine if the leaky turbo seal gets bad enuff(and it will) then you end up with a run-away engine, no way to shut it down until all the oil is gone(12 quarts) and by that time the engine is toast...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts