Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98.5 cummins, completely stock other than Edge Juice w/Attitude, and 4" turbo back exhaust. I have my max boost set at 25psi, and EGT's set at 1250, I was wondering on how much boost it can handle etc?

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
there are lots of opinions on this subject. use the search function. i run 45 psi and have had no problems. i always let the truck get to operating temp before seeing 45 psi. you will be good to 35 psi with your stock turbo.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
What transmission do you have?

Short answer- the stock turbo is best suited for <30psi (35psi is the map limit). Cummins rates the head gasket to 55psi, though it would not stand up to that pressure on a regular basis, especially with the stock head bolts.

IMHO- 25psi is about as much as the stock turbo should see. Sounds like you have it setup pretty well...

·
Registered
88 Posts
yea... I'd look at some head studs before pushing much more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea head studs are going to be an investment, just not as of right now, and as far as trans, as far as I know (haven't had the truck long), it is stock with a Transgo kit that I recently had installed, but seems to hold up fairly well.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I put mine through sustained 1,200*F of pyrometer and 32 PSI of boost hauling the trailer in my signature over 6% grades for over 5 miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i ran an edge comp box for about 4 years with 4in exshast,about 2 years with RV(40hp)injectors with the stock hy35 turbo.i would often hit 45psi of boost,so it seems there fairly sturdy.i ran basicly the same trans setup as you during that time as well & it held up fine.it wasn't til i added bigger(150hp)injector that i ruiend my stock turbo & had to do trany up grade.i think you'll be fine with the suggestions you recieved from the others.have fun!!!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
i ran an edge comp box for about 4 years with 4in exshast,about 2 years with RV(40hp)injectors with the stock hy35 turbo.i would often hit 45psi of boost,so it seems there fairly sturdy.i ran basicly the same trans setup as you during that time as well & it held up fine.it wasn't til i added bigger(150hp)injector that i ruiend my stock turbo & had to do trany up grade.i think you'll be fine with the suggestions you recieved from the others.have fun!!!
Good example... He's mirroring me... Then upgrade way too far without doing the study work and now ruin a turbo. Everything work in a balance. Performance vs. Longevity.... Too much performance shortens the longevity and too much longevity will reduce the performance.

If you looking to get the most longevity from the truck keep the power mods down low say "Edge Juice" and maybe "+50 Injectors" is more than enough for a daily street machine. Beyond that you need to reconsider what the effect of extra HP/TQ is going to do to everything! (Trans, Turbo, fuel system, etc.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts