Cummins Diesel Forum banner

what brand t stat is best?

768 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Duelly Dad 
#1 ·
title says it

i know everyone recommends the genuine cummins t stat for these trucks but i can’t find a genuine 190 thermostat for my ‘99. all i see is either a 180 for my ‘99 or a 190 for ‘00-‘02.

Genos sells a gates t stat for a great price and it opens at 190. what’s everyone recommendations? i’m going to be doing a fleece coolant bypass soon so i want to replace the factory thermostat with a good one.

#3 ·
98-99 came with 180 from the factory so if you go to Cummins with your engine number, that’s what they will give you. Get a 190 for 2000-2002 and you’ll be fine as they are identical

#4 ·
thanks, the t stats look different visually, that won’t matter right? and i guess i’ll try to find a cummins dealer near me. how could i find one? are they the same spots that sell big rigs?

#5 ·
#6 ·
i guess my question is the reliability and longevity of the gates thermostat. it seems like everyone swears by the cummins t stat but for the price it doesn’t seem worth it

#8 ·
well i found the correct thermostat on genos garage. it’s weird i didn’t see it earlier. but it’s a 190 cummins thermostat for the correct year. genos also has the best price available.
98.5-02 190 cummins t stat

Reactions: 9297oldram
#9 ·
I've had great luck with the Cummins thermostat. Gates or Stant would likely be fine replacements though but haven't used them except for in the coolant bypass.

#10 ·
I always got mine at napa, which is probably gates or start and never had an issue with them. They use to be $23 and worked great. I think gates/stant got a bad wrap on the internet

#11 ·
I don’t get a discount from Cummins anymore and Cummins stats got really expensive online.
A few years ago I tried a NAPA stat and it stuck shut at 6000 miles and I had to pull over in the mountains and take it out. It was the worst parts store stat I ever had.
Then Genos told me that Gates makes the stats for cummins, so I got a gates stat from Genos and it is doing fine. I put it on the stove and the gates stat also opens as far as the cummins stats.
I’ve tried parts store stats in previous CTD‘s and none of them open nearly as far as the Cummins and my gates stat

#12 ·
I end up buying one from a Vender not on this site, Genos was out of stock the other day. I’m replacing the stat and water pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.