Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,886 Posts
Buy the gallon jugs of concentrate from the dealer. Grab a corresponding number of gallon jugs of distilled water for about $1/each. Mix it yourself and save some money.

Peak Final Charge seems to be a popular OAT coolant for lots here on CF as well.

· Registered
2,788 Posts
Mopar concentrate. It's just as cheap to get it from the dealer as the wal mart stuff.

· Registered
3,563 Posts
According to Fleetguard, they don't have one that has approved test strips and additives. If you want that, find one that does. IDR the Valvoline brands, maybe Xerex, but they have one that does.

· Red Rider
17,886 Posts

· Registered
3,563 Posts
HOAT was never necessary. OAT is fine for aluminum and passivation chemicals are a little different but no big deal.

· Registered
3,563 Posts
I never gave antifreezes much thought til dexcool ate the intake gaskets in my SC 3800 engine. I've read that GM stopped using it, too, because of it turning acidic when air enters the system. That's exactly why steam boilers use de-aerators, bcuz CO2 in the air turns into carbonic acid, in water. I did decades of industrial water treatment and it doesn't need to be complicated, but every company wants to sell their "special" BS chemicals.
Cummins is who told me NOT to use hoat and they recommended oat in my 12. I also don't want anything that's so fussy about mixing with other coolants, in my system. They also told me they don't have an oat that has a test strip/additive, that goes with it. Industrial treatment is all about testing and adding the chemicals needed, becuz you don't just dump 1000s of gallons of water/chemical mixtures. or boiler, cooling tower and chiller water/glycol, when you can correct the chemistry with the right additives.
FWIW, I added a coolant filter on my truck, and I changed the filter after a few months and checked the passivation on that shiny, new filter base, and it was picture perfect. OAT does the job quite well on aluminum!

· Red Rider
17,886 Posts
@BFD

Having owned some high-mileage RAM / Cummins trucks since 2013, I can state that OAT seems to do very well.

My previous 2014 RAM 3500 had 362k miles, no coolant issues other than normal water pumps.

My previous 2018 RAM 4500 had 473k miles, no coolant issues, changed the water pump every 150k miles at every coolant drop.

· Registered
3,563 Posts
I've read that hoat passivates quicker but I've proven to myself that oat does a very fine job, including on aluminum. As far as the life expectancy of any coolant goes, I've seen them fail miserably. That's why I would prefer to use a coolant that has an approved test/additive program so I can stay on top of the chemicals, myself. I'm using Mopar 10 yr. oat concentrate but no test strips to go with it, as far as I know. Maybe next time, now that I know there are other oats that use the tests/additives. I think Xerex is one of them.
I always change coolant before it's due because keeping the Ph down is also VERY important. I've had hoses get so hard, they almost broke apart, just touching them.
FWIW, I also do super thorough flushes with the lower hose off and the tstat out. I ran the first coolant filter for several months before I changed it and I cut the old filter apart. I slammed it on my bench and I got out about 6 tiny rust specks and the media looked new. I just wanted to prove to myself that there wasn't any large amount of particulate. I've seen BAD coil damage done by dirty systems and brazed shut sandblasted coil leaks.

· Registered
170 Posts
What is the goto antifreeze for these trucks? Purchase from dealer? Fleetguard? I know it takes Oat.
Your '03 takes OAT Zerex G05 is what I used in my '06. My '13 use HOAT, so I use the Mopar concentrate and distilled water in it.
When in doubt, consult your Operator's Manual first, then the dealer's parts guys, then the forums if you want to confirm "what you know"

· Premium Member
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD SLT
990 Posts
Mopar OAT

· Registered
253 Posts
My 03 owners manual as I'm looking at it right now says to use HOAT antifreeze. Zerex website says Their G05 is HOAT. When I flush and replace mine I use Zerex G05.

• Haha
Reactions: H3LZSN1P3R

· Registered
2,768 Posts
My 03 owners manual as I'm looking at it right now says to use HOAT antifreeze. Zerex website says Their G05 is HOAT. When I flush and replace mine I use Zerex G05.
This os the 13-18 section so you do as you please but its irrelevant here

OP if you have a truck stop around i buy TRP OAT premix extended life coolant its 1M mile stuff although i never leave it nearly that long its great stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts