Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Is this posted in the 12V forum or ...... oh wait ...... it is. Every other truck is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Recently towed a 3500+ pound travel trailer ~750 miles from Florida. 70mph on the interstate was the same 15mpg as I normally see. About an hour from home we hit a cut through that goes over a mountain. Lots of curves and elevation change. Mileage dropped significantly during that scenario. 10-11mpg.

·
Sasquatch
3,626 Posts
19 mpg is pretty consistent on my truck. Doesn't matter if I baby it or drive it like a bat out of hell shifting at 3500 rpm. Driving at 55 mph sometimes gets it to 20-21. That was with 225 wide tires on 19.5s. I just took the Ricksons off and went with 4th gen wheels and 275s, fuel economy appears to be going down, but I need a few tanks to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im averaging about 15 with the stock auto in my 97 dually- mixed driving at 5-6000 feet.

Looking forward to a transmission upgrade to help increase my mileage a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use a free app on my phone- used to be Gas Cubby, now Fuelly I think? Works the same as pen and paper- just enter odometer and gallons and it spits out a mileage figure. What’s neat is it will keep a lifetime average, tell you how much up or down from last tank, keeps all logs by date, graphs etc. You can use it to track all kinds of other maintenance costs etc., but I just stick to mileage.
Really just said all that to explain this screen shot. Shows every drop of fuel I’ve added in the 2 years I’ve had the truck. ‘96 RCLB 2wd NV4500 stock except AFC Live and 5” exhaust. 261K on the clock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Interesting app, how does it chart you city and highway milage?

·
Registered
113 Posts
15-16 in town. 18-20 highway. It varies. gonna try a fuel additive and an oil additive and see if there is any difference. somehow i doubt it. 97 3500 auto 2wd. empty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought I had somehow gained some mpg this weekend. I had almost 600 miles on a tank but somehow had a quarter tank left. Well, I sensed something was amiss and went to the gas station on my way home. It held 35.2 gallons... So glad I didn't run it dry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I thought I had somehow gained some mpg this weekend. I had almost 600 miles on a tank but somehow had a quarter tank left. Well, I sensed something was amiss and went to the gas station on my way home. It held 35.2 gallons... So glad I didn't run it dry.
maybe install a bed tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't necessarily need more range. I'm okay with 600 miles to a tank. In fact I love it. My last daily driver was a jeep on 40's with a 10 gallon fuel cell. That was horrible.

I guess my fuel gauge had some how got stuck at 1/4 tank. After I filled up it randomly shot up to full like the float had been stuck so it is working as of now. I had tightened the big nut? on top of the tank the day before as it was leaking after topping off. Maybe I somehow twisted the sending unit. I'll find out when it gets back to a quarter tank.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't necessarily need more range. I'm okay with 600 miles to a tank. In fact I love it. My last daily driver was a jeep on 40's with a 10 gallon fuel cell. That was horrible.

I guess my fuel gauge had some how got stuck at 1/4 tank. After I filled up it randomly shot up to full like the float had been stuck so it is working as of now. I had tightened the big nut? on top of the tank the day before as it was leaking after topping off. Maybe I somehow twisted the sending unit. I'll find out when it gets back to a quarter tank.
There sending units are noted for sticking and wearing the contacts in spots.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Good to know. I'll look into it. Seems that there may be enough room under there to remove and replace without dropping the tank or lifting the bed.

There’s not lol. Lifting the bed is the easiest method though. Don’t need more than about 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 58 of 58 Posts