Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im lookin to buy a 98.5 ex cab 4x4auto, and was just wondering what the problems mainly consist with those trucks,i know theres possible its a 53 block and i know about the vp and the lp,the only way to check fuel pressure on those is if you take the banjo bolt out and rig up ur own fuel supply bolt and gauge.

·
Registered
849 Posts
on a 98-99 there is 2 1/8 inch npt plugs on top of the fuel filter what else is there crappy steering crappy headlights and craked dash is all i can think of now wouldnt worry about the 53 block to much just check and see if its craked before you buy it

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
The frontend just like all the others and the tranny too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an auto yeah i can tell it needs a front end alignment i noticed it dosent have the blow buy deal right in front of the motor where did they move it to?and also on the fuel filter housing,it doesnt have a cap like my 02 does do you have to remove all those fuel lines n such to change the filter?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
truck doesnt have a cracked dash everything inside of it looks suprisingly nice very its in top condition for sure no tears in the seats uh no stains on the carpet the door panel interior isnt like a faded dirty color lol its all real sharp lookin,first thing i noticed is it doesnt have a gooseneck hitch and it has a real nice bedliner in it,over load springs,rear sway bar etc

·
Registered
81 Posts
They are the loudest stock Dodge Diesel made. The wife will not like it. "...it drives like a piece of machinery...". Its loud, rude and obnoxious :headbang:

·
Registered
81 Posts
its an auto yeah i can tell it needs a front end alignment i noticed it dosent have the blow buy deal right in front of the motor where did they move it to?and also on the fuel filter housing,it doesnt have a cap like my 02 does do you have to remove all those fuel lines n such to change the filter?
Mine comes out the side in the back on the drivers side. Check out this thread:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/61495-oil-drip-blowby-tube-3.html

·
Registered
849 Posts
blow by should just be a piece of rubber hose on yours comes out by the steering gear box on the fuel filter there is a nut on top you just loosen and the bottom comes off

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
They didnt put a puk bottle on the 98's, its just a hose that hangs down. Adding a piece of hose and getting it closer to the ground helps alot. You have to loosen the nut on top of the filter housing and the bottom of the housing will come off. First you have to unhook the water in fuel light wires.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didnt put a puk bottle on the 98's, its just a hose that hangs down. Adding a piece of hose and getting it closer to the ground helps alot. You have to loosen the nut on top of the filter housing and the bottom of the housing will come off. First you have to unhook the water in fuel light wires.
hell thats retarted doin all that work to change a fuel filter,but its for a friend and i already told him i would let him use my smarty but not until he buys a fuel system,and just one more question why are those trucks rated at 215 hp,is it the vp or injectors?

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Vp, all the injectors are the same. Granted its not as easy as the newer style but its not hard, 1 nut and 1 plug.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They are the loudest stock Dodge Diesel made. The wife will not like it. "...it drives like a piece of machinery...". Its loud, rude and obnoxious :headbang:
Absolutely, I love it.

As for the hp rating, check the plate on the timing gear housing it should be listed there. Mine's a 235hp.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
I guess its just upgraded vp.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh ok well we took it for a test drive and it just feels like a dog but i dont remember if mine was that slow wen it was stock

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Did you tsake your smarty to check codes? Maybe the vp is sick?

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
The stock auto trucks are pretty gutless, at least mine was.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.