Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a 91.5 12v to put into my Super Duty

Shooting for 350-400hp range. Here's what I've got coming so far. Let me know if there is something obvious I'm missing.

Turbo- Plan is to upgrade the H1
60mm compressor housing with wheel
16cm2 exhaust turbine housing
Rebuild/seal the center

Engine
Dynamite Diesel 75-100 hp injectors
GD fuel pin and 3200 spring
Turn up VE pump
Grade 10 head bolts
Gasket set so I can tear down the motor, check kdp, bearings ect
new water pump
new ac compressor

Anything else I'm missing? I'm fairly new to the 5.9, so any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,739 Posts
Fire ring the head. Lots of money!

Welcome to CF

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that I was still under the fire ring category... This is for a daily driver and pulling a 7k enclosed trailer every other weekend, not a sled puller. I just want the hp cause I'm used to driving a tuned truck.

Am I going to want to put in the 60# valve springs with the 3200 governor spring?

·
Super Moderator
23,739 Posts
You definitely don't need that much HP to pull a trailer that size.

Do the free mods Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump Open up the stock air box and a free flowing muffler or straight pipe and you'll be good to go.

What year is your engine?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
My personal opinion.... no, but here is why. I don't see any performance modification that cost money, but won't get you to where you are wanting to be a good start. I don't like spending money twice.

I'm not a fan of ddp injectors for one reason.....price vs. quality. They are of quality, but you never seem to know what they are going to give you (spray angle, hole count) and they are EXTREMELY expensive for the size that they actually are.

I'm also not a fan of the upgrade wheels........but that is just me. A lot of folks run the upgraded wheels and have great luck with them. I just like running newer technology wheels/turbos. For the price you'll have in an upgraded wheel and an exhaust housing you will be more than half way to a new comparable turbo that will flow better. I'm also not a fan of large exhaust housings on a 1st gen truck and a 16 cm housing is a large housing. Use a small housing and a wastegate, that is what they are designed for. Ever wonder why from 94 to current ALL dodge trucks have tiny housings on them and are gated?

Again though, the above are my opinions on the products.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was told that this truck came with a 20cm exhaust housing, so the 16cm would help, but not give too high of egts towing.

edit: buy new turbo do you mean some thing like an HX35 or something like the s300 or he351?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Being a 91.5 you may have the 21cm housing.... but it is also possible you have the 18.

It's all up to you, I don't mean to talk you away from the 60/16 upgrade.... I just know with all of the set ups I have ran, it would tow better and run better with a gated 12 or 14 housing (with the 60 upgrade). Problem then is, it is a very expensive upgrade.

If I were to build myself a personal tow/work truck again. I would run a 5x13 SAC sized injector with a 60/68/.8 or .7 (14 or 12) gated, borg charger - If I needed 375 ish hp.
Other option is a S300G with 5x11 or 5x12 SAC injectors, but would then expect 325 ish hp.

·
Ducati M.
6,755 Posts
I don't have any performance or quality complaints about ddp, the ones I got are a pretty clean injector once warm. However there is quite a wait time, and for about the same price as what I got from them I got a set of extrude honed 5x16's that I know what's been done to them from the hungry diesel.

I ran a 60mm upgrade with a 12cm housing for a while. It was nice, no complaints about it at all really, but switching to a Borg s362 made a fair difference in performance. I went from not worrying about slipping the clutch to being able to do it easily if I wasn't careful

Reactions: RCCUMMINS89

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you recommend putting the 60# valve springs in since I already have the head off to inspect everything and am going to put in a 3200 governor spring? Keep in mind I'm pairing this to the 5r110 trans that came in my super duty, with custom tuning to the factory TCM. I'm not planning on reving the crap out of it, but I am planning on using the cruise control when towing on the interstate, so if it downshifts on a hill it may rev it a bit. Although even the 6.0 rarely saw 3500 and with the tuning we can hopefully keep it lower than that...

·
Super Moderator
23,739 Posts
If you have alot of hills where you live and do alot of towing then you could put a exhaust brake on and you'll need to have the 60 LB springs for that.

·
Ducati M.
6,755 Posts
^^^ yeah. They're not strictly needed for a 3200 rpm spring, but you'll get some piece of mind by having them

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Random question. I have the head off of the 5.9 and am going to put the short block onto an engine stand. If I flip the motor upside-down to inspect the bottom end, are all the lifters going to fall out on me? I assume yes, but wanted to double check.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No the tappets will NOT fall if you flip the motor upside down.

Reactions: RCCUMMINS89

·
Registered
431 Posts
Like has already been said, I'll add my 2 cents too. 60lb valve springs aren't needed for a 3200 gsk. I wouldn't put them on, you'd have to over rev the piss out of it to where you'll probably have other issues too. I wouldn't spend the money upgrading a h1c or wh1c. I'd at least go with a hx35w, or a S300 based turbo like already mentioned. I have 5x.012s, 3200gsk, HX35w, 3rd gen intercooler, 20* of timing, and an industrial IP with no AFC on my truck right now. It'll tow anything you want it to, and it never gets above 1150* on the pyro. It gets 18-22mpg driving back and forth to work. Can't complain one bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, I dug into the engine a little more last night. Found the KDP loose enough I could move it with a finger... so should I put it back in with a tab holding it in place or just leave it out?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.