Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a few threads and it seems like there is an injector plug issue between an 07 6.7L and 03-04 5.9L. Does someone make an adapter pigtail or how does one go about making it all work?

Looks like another Fummins coming up this spring if I can get this all figured out.:doh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you trying to accomplish? You can just run the 03-04 injector harness if that's what you're asking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I thought I had read that there was an issue with 6.7L injectors not working with the 5.9L harness properly. Maybe I misunderstood what I read.

I just learned that my 6.0L in my F350 has three cylinders that are fawked so I am considering doing a Cummins swap that I have said for years I would do if my 6.0L took a dump. It is far easier to find 6.7L engines with lower miles than a 5.9L and it is apparently easier to integrate the wiring from an 03-04 Cummins into my 2003 F350 so I want to have the best of all scenarios. No emmissions shyte, more torque, lower mileage engine and less headaches to do the swap. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at the thread I was thinking of and it had to do with the 6.7L valve cover interfering with the 5.9L harness plug.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use 03/04 injectors and an 06/07 ECM on your 6.7. It does seem the 5.9 ECM won't properly fire the 6.7 injectors.
Didn't you have a problem with the 5.9L injectors not fitting the 6.7L head properly? Your thread is the one I was referencing. Thanks for chiming in.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
28,256 Posts
I did. And I kinda figured you had read it, that's why I did it. Thanks for reading.:thumbsup:

Now, on my 5.9 injectors not seating in the 6.7 head, I don't have a clue what the issue was. I do know that many have put 5.9 injectors into their 6.7 head without issue. Now, mine could be either a) installer error (me) or b) a perfect storm of tolerances.

I don't think it was me, not to toot my own horn but I'm fairly confident in my abilities to install the injectors correctly. I'm no expert but far more than incompetent.

My only theory (lacking dial gauges and calipers to measure) is that there are pretty much always acceptable tolerances in manufacturing, say bearing clearances on mains is anywhere from .0024-.0056 (I completely made those up off the top of my head). So my theory is I got a perfect combination of assembly line tolerances at odds with each other, thus the injector bodies would not fully seat into the injector bores.

For your swap, if it were me, I'd get a junkyard pullout complete 6.7, pan to head to turbo. I would also look for whichever harness you want/need, be it a manual trans harness for standalone or an auto harness if you chose to run a 48re automatic. Of course there are also aftermarket harnesses you could buy.

I would sell the stock turbo and manifold, and buy aftermarket of both. I would also sell the EGR cooler and valve and intake horn to someone who needs them. It is true that the 06-12 valvecovers are not usable with 03-05 injector connections, because the 03-05 has three plugs built into the cover spacer and stick out, where the 06 and later are two flat plugs that stick up and fairly tight to the cover.

I would also run an 06/07 ECM for the tunability available for them.

Any other questions feel free to ask, I'll keep an eye on this thread:thumbsup:

Reactions: rotory26

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a way around the injector connector problem with the 6.7L valve cover? I would prefer using the early ECM as it is easier to integrate without all the security shyte. I'm not too worried about all out performance with this swap as much as better mileage and better towing performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.