Cummins Diesel Forum banner

what airbags do I need?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  liftman 
#1 ·
I tow sometimes 12-14K lb I want it to be more leveled out... what sort of airbag set up should I go with I want versatility so I can deflate and air up my tires too.. let me know what you all think thanks in advance

#2 ·
I am extremely happy with my Firestones. I just have the air nozzles mouted beside my license plate and air them up with my garage compressor. I don't have a truck mounted compressor or tank yet. I will do that eventually though.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
the firestone bags would probably be your best bet....it's the most common. and most shops will have them in stock for your truck. i have them on my truck with a spacer, because i have a 6inch superlift rockrunner kit on my truck......

Just got back from pismo beach ...i towed a 14000lbs rockwood trailer out there and the bags did there job. i had the pressure set to 'bout 55lbs and pulled that trailer with no problem...i love the firestone bags. i highly recommend them.

my set up is the same as the previous guy. just have them going through my license plate holes..:thumbsup
i have a built in power inverter in the back of bed... and just carry a compressor w/ me when i know im going to need it for heavy load.....other then that i drive around with 'bout 6-8lbs in each bag...

Attachments

#17 ·
Have you seen the carli long travel bags yet? They get rid of That apacer under the bags. I ended up bending both mine after a while. I switched over to the carli and love them they don't ever come close to bottoming out the bags and ride a million times better than the firestones did. I know their pricy but well a must for a lifted tower. Truck looks clean.:beer

#7 ·
thanks dom and scrambler I appreciate it I talked to BIG 0Tires and they quoted me for the new AIR RIDE set up compressor, accessories, and everything for like 1000 bucks... I am pretty sure I want to do them myself.. what do you think.

#9 ·
It is easy to do yourself. I put a set of Firestones on last night with the compressor. Easy. I got mine used off of Ebay cheap. You can get them new online for $220-250 plus the Air Rite compressor kit.

#10 ·
I love my firestone air bag, also have the compressor mounted under the rear driverside seat. Mounted my guage right under the radio in a nice little cubby Dodge left me. I think the airbags were 250.00 and the compressor was about 200-250. Very easy to install.

#11 ·
I have the firestone air bags, onboard compressor and in cab controls. I really like the set up and in cab controls are a big plus - I have about $600 in it.

I have read that others really like the pacbrake air bags.

If I were to do it over I would probably get the electronic contols as opposed to the manual ones I have. The air lines are stiff which limits your mounting options for controls and gauges in the cab.

Good luck,

George

#12 ·
Firestone all the way. Air lines to the rear 10 to 50lbs depending on the load, 14,000 to 16,000lbs 5'er. 2 to 3 times a month here there and everywhere.

#13 ·
My firestones just showed up this week and the kit looks to be an excellent one. My dad has them on his 06 and they work great...

I found the best delivered price here

#14 ·
I'm with everyone else have the firstones and love them. have my lines going out back.... compressor to follow in the future:$: do it yourself it is an easy instal:thumbsup

#15 ·
I have a dodge ram 2500 07 6.7 6 spd
i pull two trailer for a living one equipment and one deckover i have the airlift air bag system 5000 ld heavy duty air bags about $300 installed and the airlift compressor with single gauge about $200 installed super convenient and eays to use can adjust on the fly i also run a class v tow beast with weight distribution 1700/17000 and dual cam sway set up allowing me to haul 14000 lb with my truck all day while ensuring my truck never squats hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.