Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow sometimes 12-14K lb I want it to be more leveled out... what sort of airbag set up should I go with I want versatility so I can deflate and air up my tires too.. let me know what you all think thanks in advance

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am extremely happy with my Firestones. I just have the air nozzles mouted beside my license plate and air them up with my garage compressor. I don't have a truck mounted compressor or tank yet. I will do that eventually though.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply I will def do some shopping around.. thanks again anyone else

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
the firestone bags would probably be your best bet....it's the most common. and most shops will have them in stock for your truck. i have them on my truck with a spacer, because i have a 6inch superlift rockrunner kit on my truck......

Just got back from pismo beach ...i towed a 14000lbs rockwood trailer out there and the bags did there job. i had the pressure set to 'bout 55lbs and pulled that trailer with no problem...i love the firestone bags. i highly recommend them.

my set up is the same as the previous guy. just have them going through my license plate holes..:thumbsup
i have a built in power inverter in the back of bed... and just carry a compressor w/ me when i know im going to need it for heavy load.....other then that i drive around with 'bout 6-8lbs in each bag...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone simply switch the whole rear suspension to some sort of air suspension (no leaf springs?)
I saw the kellerman kit, but it looks flimsy in the pics.
Anyone else make one? something beefy?

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks dom and scrambler I appreciate it I talked to BIG 0Tires and they quoted me for the new AIR RIDE set up compressor, accessories, and everything for like 1000 bucks... I am pretty sure I want to do them myself.. what do you think.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh looks like you have a nice little set up there.... I forgot to add

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks dom and scrambler I appreciate it I talked to BIG 0Tires and they quoted me for the new AIR RIDE set up compressor, accessories, and everything for like 1000 bucks... I am pretty sure I want to do them myself.. what do you think.
It is easy to do yourself. I put a set of Firestones on last night with the compressor. Easy. I got mine used off of Ebay cheap. You can get them new online for $220-250 plus the Air Rite compressor kit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love my firestone air bag, also have the compressor mounted under the rear driverside seat. Mounted my guage right under the radio in a nice little cubby Dodge left me. I think the airbags were 250.00 and the compressor was about 200-250. Very easy to install.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have the firestone air bags, onboard compressor and in cab controls. I really like the set up and in cab controls are a big plus - I have about $600 in it.

I have read that others really like the pacbrake air bags.

If I were to do it over I would probably get the electronic contols as opposed to the manual ones I have. The air lines are stiff which limits your mounting options for controls and gauges in the cab.

Good luck,

George

·
Registered
60 Posts
Firestone all the way. Air lines to the rear 10 to 50lbs depending on the load, 14,000 to 16,000lbs 5'er. 2 to 3 times a month here there and everywhere.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
My firestones just showed up this week and the kit looks to be an excellent one. My dad has them on his 06 and they work great...

I found the best delivered price here

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm with everyone else have the firstones and love them. have my lines going out back.... compressor to follow in the future:$: do it yourself it is an easy instal:thumbsup

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a dodge ram 2500 07 6.7 6 spd
i pull two trailer for a living one equipment and one deckover i have the airlift air bag system 5000 ld heavy duty air bags about $300 installed and the airlift compressor with single gauge about $200 installed super convenient and eays to use can adjust on the fly i also run a class v tow beast with weight distribution 1700/17000 and dual cam sway set up allowing me to haul 14000 lb with my truck all day while ensuring my truck never squats hope this helps

·
Registered
315 Posts
the firestone bags would probably be your best bet....it's the most common. and most shops will have them in stock for your truck. i have them on my truck with a spacer, because i have a 6inch superlift rockrunner kit on my truck......

Just got back from pismo beach ...i towed a 14000lbs rockwood trailer out there and the bags did there job. i had the pressure set to 'bout 55lbs and pulled that trailer with no problem...i love the firestone bags. i highly recommend them.

my set up is the same as the previous guy. just have them going through my license plate holes..:thumbsup
i have a built in power inverter in the back of bed... and just carry a compressor w/ me when i know im going to need it for heavy load.....other then that i drive around with 'bout 6-8lbs in each bag...
Have you seen the carli long travel bags yet? They get rid of That apacer under the bags. I ended up bending both mine after a while. I switched over to the carli and love them they don't ever come close to bottoming out the bags and ride a million times better than the firestones did. I know their pricy but well a must for a lifted tower. Truck looks clean.:beer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts