·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What additives do you guys use???

Lucas?
DieselKleen?
Marvels mystery?

I tried the last one today and looking forward to seeing how well it works.

Has any one these products helped you?

G

·
I use Power Service (both the white and silver bottle), Howes, Lucas, and MMO.

I saw the best MPG gain with Lucas, but pretty expensive for the dosage. MMO did very little in my truck and PS seems to be possibly causing a "tick" in my setup.

So it looks like it is back to Howes...for the time being. I'm going to try to pick up some Amalgamated the next time I'm through Indy.

You'd could probably find a ton more just searching on a particular brand too...I know it gets discussed a bunch here...

steved

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I like Lucas a lot (3oz per 10 gallons) and to keep the cost down being I also use it in my wife's car I buy it in the gallon jugs for $29.00 with tax. I've used PS and don't like it very well and as for MMO the last time I used it was mixed with PS and 2 cycle oil. I may try out 1/2 oz per gallon of 2 cycle oil once more later this week on my trip over to the Mississippi river pulling my inlaws pop up trailer to see how it does.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Howes......................

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I run the AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate. I never ran their old product, since I am also a Power Service dealer. But when they reforumulated their additives for bio and ULSD, I gave it a shot. It got rid of my injector knock that Power Service Diesel Kleen was unable to clear up. The same thing happened on a customer's '96 Cummins. He was running Diesel Kleen from me, and his truck was noticably smoother. We didn't expect an improvement, but that's what we got. Since that all happened about a year ago, I don't sell much Power Service anymore. Most of my accounts have found a better and more cost effective solution with the AMSOIL.

-Chuck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Amsoil is extremely expensive. I don't know how good the new formula is, but the old formula offered average protection. When I checked into it, I would have to double dose the Amsoil to get the same benefit that you get running Amalgamated. This may not matter to some, but at the time, I was running 250 gallons of fuel per week through my 2000 Ram. I could not see paying for Amsoil when amalgamated was so much cheaper and better.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The stuff I use costs $2.13 to treat 80 gallons and is far superior to Amsoil. Calculate that out over 100,000 miles and you get a savings of over $3500. I put over 120,000 on my truck in 04, so yes Amsoil is extremely expensive for me. It is actually alot more than that, Amsoil is not a complete additive package.

To make it complete, you have to add the Cold flow improver in winter months so double the cost for that. To get Cetane, you have to add cetane boost which is higher. To get a total treatment with Amsoil will require over $15 per 80 gallons in the winter months and over $10 in summer months.

In 100,000 miles that is $6250 for the 4 months of winter and $8300 for 8 months of warmer weather. Or $14,550 in 100,000 miles - compared to $2700 for Amalgamated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
See why basic math is so important in the early years? :SMART:

BigD

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think I will use other products out there that I know can trust. Lucas works for me. I don't have to pay 30 bucks a year to buy it. Costco is the only place I will pay for a membership anymore to buy anything that I need. That's enough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think that everyone should use what they trust and what they like. If someone wants to pay more for a fuel additive then thats great, I am a fan of Amsoil but thats just my opinion......so I say get what you like and what you can afford but the bottom line is that we all share one thing a love for the cummins diesel :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Being I use Lucas and buy it in gallon jugs I spend about $2.052 to treat 30 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I use PowerService, as it is what everybody seems to sell and it advertises the cetane boost.

I don't know if the other brands' stuff comes with cetane booster, but I need it so that I can drive my worn out old injectors without too much smoke.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Begle1,

Have you read the threads on the use of 2 cycle oil and that PS has a large amount of Naphtha aka Paint thinner/lighter fluid in it and that it is not all the good for your fuel system? Also no one has been able to find any lube they claim PS has in it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.