Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first diesel and couldn't find an answer on kbb. For some reason, kbb only checks 2010 and below. Anyways the truck I'm looking at is a
stock white 2015 ram laramie with about 110,000 miles (not really sure what a laramie supposed to come with)
no sunroof or back sliding window
black leather seats
towing mirror and goose neck hitch
bedliner
some kind of aftermarket front grill
amp research electronic running board
xd wheels

that is all i can think of of what it has. his asking price is $35k. I'm in California if that makes a difference. sorry i did not take any pictures of it. been thinking of a diesel since 2014 and finally decided to pick one up. TIA

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Is it deleted ? Sounds like it might have a lift ? Have you driven the truck ?

·
Registered
14,463 Posts
Sounds high to me for a nearly 6 year old truck with over 100K miles.

Is this truck in Ca. too?

At a dealer or individual? Warranty offered? Maintenance records?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like it’s within the ballpark on price. Shop around eBay Motors and cars. com and you see 2015 Laramie’s within that price range. 100k miles is nothing on these trucks. Make sure you look at the idle time. Idle time of less than 20% is preferred (my opinion).

·
Registered
75 Posts
That seems high to me. FWIW I bought my 2015 Big Horn with 76k for 38k 2 years ago from a Ram dealer. I would keep looking for a better deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it deleted ? Sounds like it might have a lift ? Have you driven the truck ?
It’s not deleted and no lift. I haven’t gotten the chance to test drive it yet, waiting for my 401k loan to come before I do some serious talk with him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds high to me for a nearly 6 year old truck with over 100K miles.

Is this truck in Ca. too?

At a dealer or individual? Warranty offered? Maintenance records?
Yes in CA. It’s a private sale and no warranty or maintenance records, he just said he serviced it every 6k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems high to me. FWIW I bought my 2015 Big Horn with 76k for 38k 2 years ago from a Ram dealer. I would keep looking for a better deal.
I see that you’re from CA, do you mind me asking what dealership?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first diesel and couldn't find an answer on kbb. For some reason, kbb only checks 2010 and below. Anyways the truck I'm looking at is a
stock white 2015 ram laramie with about 110,000 miles (not really sure what a laramie supposed to come with)
no sunroof or back sliding window
black leather seats
towing mirror and goose neck hitch
bedliner
some kind of aftermarket front grill
amp research electronic running board
xd wheels

that is all i can think of of what it has. his asking price is $35k. I'm in California if that makes a difference. sorry i did not take any pictures of it. been thinking of a diesel since 2014 and finally decided to pick one up. TIA
Buy new.

Trust me on that one. Buy new and don't look back.

It's hard, sometimes. It's work, sometimes.

But by the time you figure the interest rate on the loan for a used vehicle vs a new one (sometimes 0% for 6 years or more) and when you stop and figure that, by the time you finish paying it off, it's gonna be ready for the junkyard and then there's the thrill of repairing something for Big $$$ while you're still making payments on it. That's a knee-slapper right there.

If you can afford $35k for a used one, you can afford $55k (or less) for a new one. Might not be a Laramie but that's okay. Just less stuff to break on it. :)

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Buy new.

But by the time you figure the interest rate on the loan for a used vehicle vs a new one (sometimes 0% for 6 years or more) and when you stop and figure that, by the time you finish paying it off, it's gonna be ready for the junkyard and then there's the thrill of repairing something for Big $$$ while you're still making payments on it. That's a knee-slapper right there.

If you can afford $35k for a used one, you can afford $55k (or less) for a new one. Might not be a Laramie but that's okay. Just less stuff to break on it. :)
I have to agree......

·
Registered
839 Posts
Buy new.

Couldn’t disagree more.

While $35k does sound a bit high on the truck you are looking at, take the savings on the used and don’t look back. You can find low mileage used if you are patient and stick to a budget.

And what a joke commenting it’s going to be ready for the junkyard after it’s paid off. Give me a break. If you maintain it properly you will easily get 300k with minimal repairs and can feasibly get 500k out of one.

I bought my 2012 in 2016 with 52k mikes on it. Saved $20k over buying new paid it off in 2 years and have put $800 in repairs into it.

Currently have 175k on it and still performs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: NinjaWa

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
That's why every Dealer has a New Car and a Used Car Lot.

I won't buy used. Ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. Bought too many used vehicles that turned to junk almost overnight. Never again. Never, ever, ever. And I am far from well off.

As to paying it off sooner? My wife's loan is interest-free. I couldn't care less when it's paid off. That loan don't cost me squat. Ram was offering no interest loans for a while, I don't know if they still are.

5% on $35k for 5 years is $660 a Month and $4,629 in interest alone. That's real money.

0% for 6 years on $50k is 694 a month.

But everybody's different and used car loans are pretty low-interest right now. 5% ain't bad.

OTOH, I could be wrong

·
Registered
752 Posts
A lot depends what you're doing with the truck. If it's going to be seeing a tons of miles and making you money and downtime will cost you, then new can make more sense. But 120k miles is not much at all. Sure you'll have some repairs here and there, but if it was well looked after and you get it looked over well most used trucks won't have much trouble making it over 200k with very little work. I would probably try to find a lower trim like a big horn, and totally stock though and go with less miles.

A few months ago when my 13 was totaled from being stolen I pondered new. Buying a new big horn $85k sticker I would have been about $73k OTD (I'm in Canada). Instead I bought a 09 ram 5500 with 110k miles on it for $16k, only put about 3k miles on it so far but it's been a great truck and I love not owing a penny on it. And I can justify more as it's for work and I can write the truck off, but still it's money you are spending. I spent so little I was able to buy a second truck again, again used and it's been great too.

New trucks have just got insane in price. IMO anyone buying a new diesel and spending big money on it either better be making them money, or they better own it for at least 10 years or they are just throwing mountains of money away. The 0% financing is just built into the price, while in many cases it does make more sense to go with it over other rebates, you're still "paying" a decent amount on interest.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's why every Dealer has a New Car and a Used Car Lot.

I won't buy used. Ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. Bought too many used vehicles that turned to junk almost overnight. Never again. Never, ever, ever. And I am far from well off.

As to paying it off sooner? My wife's loan is interest-free. I couldn't care less when it's paid off. That loan don't cost me squat. Ram was offering no interest loans for a while, I don't know if they still are.

5% on $35k for 5 years is $660 a Month and $4,629 in interest alone. That's real money.

0% for 6 years on $50k is 694 a month.

But everybody's different and used car loans are pretty low-interest right now. 5% ain't bad.

OTOH, I could be wrong
One error in your calculation is not comparing the same term, or payment. If you put the same amount towards the used payment, the interest drops to about $4300 and paid off in a little over 4.5 years. A used truck that is $35k compared to $50k new is going to be extremely low miles and not going to need anything for a long time. In fact if it's $50k with 0%, i'd bet the used truck would be like 10-20k miles on it at most as the new truck without 0% would only be like $45k.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Search TruckTrader for your research. There are significantly better deals out there on newer used trucks with alot lower miles in CA. Clean & stock is your best bet & add aftermarket wheels after instead of over paying for someone else's pick. I just looked and in 5 minutes found several better options.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I bought my 2500 Laramie new in 2014, I looked at the prices going for a 5 year old equivalent truck and they were running about 35K FWIW. I just figured if I got the trade in itch, I would only be in another 15K to get back to a brand new vehicle after its paid off. I since have decided I'm going to keep it for the long haul, now that its paid off. But that's the general range I got back then. Maybe things have changed, or maybe not. I don't know. However if it's maintained well I don't think 35K is that bad for a retail resale price. I'd probably haggle down to 30K myself for private party. Just because I like to get a better deal than whats usually out there and available. Also that's probably just a bit more than their possible trade in value.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
If these trucks are left stock, and well maintained, they hold their value .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don’t all Laramies have a sliding rear window? I have a 2016 Laramie that has a power sliding window, my father in law has a 2010 Laramie with a power sliding window also...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts