Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clock the center section where the oil supply and drain ports are. Is there anything to remove other than the 4 bolts and moon shaped plates so that it will turn? Ive taken those off and soaked it in pb blaster. Used a dead blow hammer and still cant get it to budge.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Lossen up the compressor side too....

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
V band.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
here's how I loosened mine up. Find a stout bolt with a nut that fits lengthwise between the compressor side of the CHRA and the turbine housing. Thread the nut onto the bolt, then stack washers over the nut until the last one contacts the turbine housing. Use some wrenches to "loosen" the nut, effectively pushing the washers against the turbine housing to force the center section free. You will have to do this at a couple locations around the center section and slowly work it out.

Trust me, I soaked and soaked with PB Blaster, pounded with a hammer, heated with a torch, but the bolt trick was what worked. Just wish I would have thought of it sooner.

If that is confusing and you need a picture, let me know, I still have the bolt/washer combo that I used

·
Registered
66 Posts
a picture's worth...

here's what I was referring to. Make sure you loosen/remove the 4 bolts holding the turbine section to the CHRA. Here's the bolt I used to pry them apart with some thick washers to put over the end of the bolt

here it's placed between the turbine housing and the front part of the CHRA. Just loosen the nut and it pushes the washers into the CHRA and separates the turbine section

Here you can see the CHRA being pressed away from the turbine housing...note the fresh looking rust in this picture

You can remove it and clean it up a little or just loosen it enough to clock the CHRA

I just took one apart today in about 15 min and this is the easiest way I've found to get them apart
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts