Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 2500

Wife discovered over the weekend that my passenger floor board was soaked and mildewed. I did some research and stumbled across the ac drain sometimes bleeds back into the cabin. After I verified the drain line was cleared I found a 90* elbow that fits over it and routed it down towards the ground in hopes of this solving my issue. Today when I get to work after a 45 min commute I notice the floor board is soaked again. Is there something internal I can take apart and re seal or is it possibly something else??

Any input will help.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
center brake lights is a major cause and has been for years. Marine weatherstripping seems to be what people use with the most success. Should be a ton of threads to look up.

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,199 Posts
2017 2500

Wife discovered over the weekend that my passenger floor board was soaked and mildewed. I did some research and stumbled across the ac drain sometimes bleeds back into the cabin. After I verified the drain line was cleared I found a 90* elbow that fits over it and routed it down towards the ground in hopes of this solving my issue. Today when I get to work after a 45 min commute I notice the floor board is soaked again. Is there something internal I can take apart and re seal or is it possibly something else??

Any input will help.

Is this the front or rear passenger floor board? If it’s the rear, I’ve heard of the rear glass leaking as well as the third brake light as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s the front floor. If the rear light was leaking that wouldn’t only happen with rain..I cleaned and dried the floor Saturday drove around Sunday and it was wet again. No rain in between. Also, would it leak marks on my headliner if it was leaking?

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,199 Posts
It’s the front floor. If the rear light was leaking that wouldn’t only happen with rain..I cleaned and dried the floor Saturday drove around Sunday and it was wet again. No rain in between. Also, would it leak marks on my headliner if it was leaking?

Did you have the A/C on? And does it smell sweet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AC is/was on, yes. No it does not smell sweet or have any oily consistency. It doesn’t appear to be the heater core/anti freeze.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was almost curious if it was the duct running to the AC seats sweating. But it’s only on the passenger side and that hardly ever runs.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
I was almost curious if it was the duct running to the AC seats sweating. But it’s only on the passenger side and that hardly ever runs.
Cooled seats aren't cooled by the a/c, they only are ventilated with a fan.

Is this happening during rainy weather or after washes?

Possibly a leaking windshield seal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stand corrected, rear ac floor vent duct. I haven’t known about the wetness long enough to determine what situations drive the wet floors. Is there access to the ac/heated box from inside under the dash? Wondering if I can pull it apart and watch as the ac runs...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m going to remove some of the insulating material up there on the fire wall and hopefully be able to see something. I have a bunch of news paper stuffed up there right hoping to gather some new from that on my drive home

58922165160__22368477-AAE4-4416-8178-9E2556A916A5.JPG

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Could be the AC drain tube is clogged and the condensation from the AC is spilling onto the floor. That is about the only possible cause with no smell and no rain.
He said he already checked that.

So, is this truck not still under warranty? Over 36K miles or under?

If it's still under warranty, I'd take it to a dealer service department.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Definitely, sounds like your AC drain tube is clogged up with some dirt or debri. This will cause the AC drain pan to overflow, causing the wet carpet. Check the tube, if you can feel down the whole tube with your hands, just press on the tube as you go down it. You will feel area where it is hard and can't be compressed, just break up that clog...good to go. If easy access, take tube off, blow thru with air compressor.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Maybe leave the carpet pulled, put some powder or chalk on a dry floorboard and firewall, see if you can chase it up or catch it?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Could it be your Evaporator is icing up??

That can happen if you're low on Freon. Or if the evaporator is blocked by dirt or something. Like maybe a plugged cabin filter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to dig further when I get home. Stand by for updates.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts