Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the tire and while lifting the truck the unbelievable and unthinkable happened. The jack slipped forward, fell off the frame and into the oil pan. Now there's a loud ticking noise. Immediately shut it down. Now what? 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶 Where to get a new oil pan??

Super Moderator
Dented the oil pan and it's hitting on the crankshaft?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dented the oil pan and it's hitting on the crankshaft?
That's my guess. Probably turned over less than a dozen times. Soon as I heard it, I shut it down. Never felt this sick over this truck! Just fixed the rear hangers and had it aligned this a.m.. Was changing out worn tire. I see Rock Auto has them but don't know if they're good.

Reactions: 鈥04CTD

Super Moderator
Doesn't sound like a fun job, if your planning on keeping the truck for a while would be a good time to do a couple other things.

Rear main seal
tappet cover gasket

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like I can get the parts easily enough. Just got to find someone that can/will do it. One shop years ago said the front suspension has to come out!! SMH

Super Moderator
It looks like I can get the parts easily enough. Just got to find someone that can/will do it. One shop years ago said the front suspension has to come out!! SMH
No you pull it out the top just like doing any other engine. Sounds like that shop doesn't know what they are doing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No you pull it out the top just like doing any other engine. Sounds like that shop doesn't know what they are doing.
I agree!! It's the shop that tried to screw me in the alternator deal. Wanted $1200 plus parts to do the pan!!! Just called my other shop and they quoted me $232 labor to do it. Hopefully it's less than a $500 mishap. Any recommendations on the oil pan? Thanks.

Super Moderator
$232 sounds way to cheap unless they only charge about $20 a hr. No idea on a pan just have to search and see where to get one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I just have to find a pan. The reviews one the Spectra I found said it does not fit!

Registered
Late 1990 w250 727/3.07s
When the pan is off pound the dent out.
This is what I would do or find a used pan...most of the non-Cummins pans are thin.

If it is a 4wd, you can lift them insitu and pull the pan (I changed pan gasket in mine and just loosened stuff), but I think you need to pull the engine for a 2wd?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will ask the guy about pounding it out. That's what I thought at first.

Registered
Late 1990 w250 727/3.07s
I will ask the guy about pounding it out. That's what I thought at first.
For the record, mine was crushed from being sat on the ground (by someone else). I bumped it out with a hammer and 2x4 (with the end rounded over like a poor man's body dolly).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts