Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a Dodge Dually using as a welding rig and pulling a 5th wheel rv? Everyone tells me that they mount the 5th wheel hitch 18" behind the rear axle. These rv's generally run about 2500-3500 lbs. at the hitch. This is a lot of weight behind the rear axle. :confused013:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone got a Dodge Dually using as a welding rig and pulling a 5th wheel rv? Everyone tells me that they mount the 5th wheel hitch 18" behind the rear axle. These rv's generally run about 2500-3500 lbs. at the hitch. This is a lot of weight behind the rear axle. :confused013:
Maybe I'm confused about your post, but a fifth wheel hitch is supposed to be mounted directly over, or about 2 inches ahead of the rear axle... Maybe something is different with your welding rig setup?? That just seems like WAY too much weight that far behind the center of the axle.

·
Diesel-less
4,274 Posts
If you're towing a 5th wheel I wouldn't recommend mounting the hitch behind the rear axle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welding machine and gas bottles are as far forward as possible. The equipment up front will be around 5,000 lbs. Guys tell me the heavy equipment up front keeps it stable. Was hopping someone here was actually doing this and could explain pros and cons.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You will have to mount it behind the Axle. Im not sure exactly how far back but I can find out for you. I dont pull a camper with my welding Rig but I have a bunch of friends that do and it works pretty well. I will get back to you later today with how far back it needs to sit.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Try explaining this to the highway patrol when they pull you over for a safety violation.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
BPE,

I have mounted the B&W hitch in my megacab short bed dually 09' I just got. Then to get the trailers that are more squared off on the front, to clear the cab enough when I have to jack knife them in places; I mounted a weld-in version of B&W's 16" behind the first hitch...

I was a welder for many years and know exactly what your doing and why my friend. The setup I did might just do the trick for you and it leaves the bed clean once you get the trailer setup and you go to work. Turn the ball over and drop down in the bed. The extra weight this far back off the axle is not a problem at all. It actually pulls really well there. Not to mention I can even pull trailers with the tailgate down if I wish...

I boxed the extra weld-in hitch I bought from B&W with 1/4X4" flatbar and welded that just right in front of the spare tire hanger to the bed and then strapped from the 1/4X4" flatbar to the other B&W hitch to unitize the entire setup... Its like way stout dude and I love how it pulls trailers, and I now tow/haul trailers all the time. Might fit the ticket for you as well...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know a Pipeline Welder with an '05 dually Qcab that has a fabricated "Steel" deck/cabinet combo with a 300D Lincoln welder on it. He reinforced the tail end of the deck, tied the frame properly to the deck at 6 points and mounted his fifth wheel hitch to the top of the deck, behind the welding machine. This truck has a mild lift /rear air bags as well as a set of Mudgrappler 315's on it and , although I don't personnaly reccomend the setup, he has 150000km on it towing a 39' 5ver with 4 slides to pipeline jobs all over AB/Sask, and mainly through the Rockies. He seems Okay with how it pulls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welding machine and gas bottles are as far forward as possible. The equipment up front will be around 5,000 lbs. Guys tell me the heavy equipment up front keeps it stable. Was hopping someone here was actually doing this and could explain pros and cons.
Add 2500-3500 pounds for the 5th pin weight and you are INSANELY overloaded.:shock:

Not a good idea IMHO.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Man, Ive done it several times. Take advice from those who have done it. You will be ok!!! 16 to 18 inches behind the axle should give you plenty of room. some of these folks dont understand how cramped for space a welding car can get. too many people worried about getting stopped by DOT, I say just do it!!!! I went from Snyder tx, to pinedale wyoming, from pinedale, to kansas, from kansas, to OK City, from OK City to Sonora tx and never had a hichway patrol look twice when i passed them!!!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here is how I do it. Follow the links and you'll get what I use, why and a picture of my rig.

I made my choices based on safety and the ability to work off of the bed.

Good Luck......
-Rhyno

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-non-powertrain/107992-gooseneck-hitch-help-post1126402.html#post1126402

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-non-powertrain/107992-gooseneck-hitch-help-post1127190.html#post1127190

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-general-discussion/66806-why-flatbed.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had them welded right at the back of my bed. You don't have to worry about the DOT. Put it on the back of the bed and don't worry about it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks guys. I don't believe these other guys understand the world we welders work in. Our ability to strengthen the chassis if needs be. I know a welder who actually cut his chassis into and lowered his welder and then fabricated the chassis around the welder. Very neat job too. Asked him why he did it; wanted to see out rear view mirror and because he could. I'll be embarking on this in the very near future. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts