Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, here's your chance to impress your friends. Which illustration shows the strongest welded joint? A, B, or C? The black filled in area represents welding rod, or penetration amount. Acceptable answers are A. B. or C. if you picked B. pat yourself on the back. Thanks for playing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
b shows the most penetration, however you can't tell from the diagram whether it might be seriously undercut.

Many years ago I taught welding, so that precludes me from really knowing anything without actually over-analyzing it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b shows the most penetration, however you can't tell from the diagram whether it might be seriously undercut.

Many years ago I taught welding, so that precludes me from really knowing anything without actually over-analyzing it.
Nice, did you get into destructive, and non destructive testing as well or just welding fundamentals? There is no undercut in the drawings represented.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'd say B as well

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
B appears to have the most penetration as everyone wants to point out...but is rejectable to AWS D1.1 structural steel, due to depth vs. width limitations.

A is cold...by either low amperage, too fast of travel speed, or too much wire. Without knowing the process used, it has the start of overlap/cold roll/lack of fusion...take your pick.

C is the acceptable, by the definitions of sec. 5.24 (i believe leads you too the acceptable profile figures).

Now...which is STRONGEST, only destructive testing can tell and usually they all come very close.

Let me ask this, using 1/2" plate...which would be stronger

A. A single V full penetration weld (prepped and backing removed)

B. A T joint, with a 5/16" fillet the length of both sides

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
2004 Ram 3500... 6.4 Cummins with some stuff.
3,603 Posts
Hahahaha ! Lol !!!

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
2004 Ram 3500... 6.4 Cummins with some stuff.
3,603 Posts
The correct answer is... Which ever one was made by a Texas Rig Welder !

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
675 Posts
Come on guys the answer is A

The reason its A is that it's the internet. Internet lookers love pretty welds that push hot material onto cold material to give it the "tig" dime look. If its pretty it will hold.

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
107 Posts
B appears to have the most penetration as everyone wants to point out...but is rejectable to AWS D1.1 structural steel, due to depth vs. width limitations.

A is cold...by either low amperage, too fast of travel speed, or too much wire. Without knowing the process used, it has the start of overlap/cold roll/lack of fusion...take your pick.

C is the acceptable, by the definitions of sec. 5.24 (i believe leads you too the acceptable profile figures).

Now...which is STRONGEST, only destructive testing can tell and usually they all come very close.

Let me ask this, using 1/2" plate...which would be stronger

A. A single V full penetration weld (prepped and backing removed)

B. A T joint, with a 5/16" fillet the length of both sides
Bringing this back from the dead, how could you compare the strength between the two? The fillet weld would get a bend test while the single V would be tension (pull) test.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bringing this back from the dead, how could you compare the strength between the two? The fillet weld would get a bend test while the single V would be tension (pull) test.
The "V" can be pulled and or bent after being cut into ingots, and both must be done to pass Cert. At least that's the way we did it 35 years ago...

·
Registered
107 Posts
The "V" can be pulled and or bent after being cut into ingots, and both must be done to pass Cert. At least that's the way we did it 35 years ago...
True, but the bend tests don't give you a numerical value, just a pass or fail...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts