Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my 2001 H.O. recently just started making a very weird and awkward noise from the turbo. i recently moved from a lower elevation to the mountains and noticed first that my truck would smoke more,didnt mind at all...anyway today i started it and when i took off i noticed the turbo not sounding normal. it had more of a high pitch scream to it, that seemed like the turbo was spooling up way to fast. there is no popping, any suggestions? its loudest from 3rd to 4th gear when i shift( Manual tranny-6speed)...someone told me the bearings could be going out????

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Does it seem to make the noises while in neutral, at idle or while revving the engine? If it's bearings/etc you should really hear it at any time, since it's spinning constantly.
I had weird noise on my 98 before too... noticed boost gauge kept dropping under acceleration and tons of smoke when taking off from a stop. Turned out it was the hose from turbo to intercooler, clamp loosened off at the intercooler and was just spreading the hose apart at high psi's.

I'd recommend checking all your air/boost hoses and clamps and see if that gets you anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it only makes the noise when im driving, when im shifting from gear to gear, loudest from 3rd to 4th...i popped my hood today and revved it and it sounded normal. i recently took off the silencer ring on the turbo, think that has anything to do with it???

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Well all I know is when I took my silencer ring off on my 07 5.9 my turbo became much more louder. You'll hear a lot of whisteling coming when driving at higer RMP's. Taking the silencer ring off does nothing except make your turbo louder hence the name "silencer ring". I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Yah the silencer ring will just let you hear the whistling a lot more, I notice mine to whistle the most around 15-22psi and before or after it's hardly noticeable while driving (with stereo up).

I'd give the hoses and clamps all a check, because you won't notice an issue revving it in neutral on a hose as no boost is pushed through the hoses then.
Maybe invest in a boost gauge, as this would let you know if you're getting boost to the engine yet or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, i noticed at first but then got use to it. but the noise its making now is not normal...i am going to open the turbo up tommorro, what should i look for?

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
I've never taken a turbo apart or even out... so I won't be able to help you there.
I wouldn't rip it out and apart until you know for sure it is the turbo itself though.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorta sounds like a manifold/gasket issue. Sounds like a chirping? Is your rig modified? More fuel often likes to warp manifolds. On mine this horrible chirping showed up when I put on a brake. You won't make any boost without load on the engine, so it'll be a pain to figure out, so I would say look at your boots and check out all the manifold/turbo gaskets. They are metal and when something gets loose, the gaskets make squeak/chirp noise the same way a reed in a musical horn does. Retorque all the exhaust bolts or at least check the tightness.

More smoke at a lower altitude says SOMETHING is funny. Air leaking from boots or exhaust leaking from gaskets.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Probably a very stupid question, but in a bunch of sigs i have noticed it says silencer ring MIA. This just means you removed silencer ring right? Sorry for the newbie question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts