Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to sound stupid but going to say it, and ask it as i'm hoping i'm not the only one that experiences this.

2002 4X4, front end is tight according to my alignment guy, doesn't appear to have any sticky axle joints. I put a new OEM steering shaft on it and from a suggestion I put a steering box form a 2004 Sierra 2500 2X4. In cold weather, especially after trucks been sitting all night i can drive down the road and it steers like a dream and enjoyable to drive, not wandering all over the road. After driving the truck for a while or hot temperature days, when coming in to corners it feels stiff, almost as if the PS isn't working properly. I have PS fluid in it as recommended, someone said try Dextron even though it doesn't call for it. So i'm wondering if anyone ever had a PS pump getting bad that acted this way? Possibly the fluid heating up and pump not pumping properly? I'd think hotter fluid would flow easier and be better, but I don't know. Also wondered if a balljoint would make any type of heat when being driven making it swell a bit causing sticking? . Last thing, it has an adjustable ball joint on top on drivers side. When I first bought the truck a different alignment guy said it was just out of spec and I needed to do that to bring it back in. i'm grasping, but getting tired of it

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Are your balljoints and ujoints greased and moving properly? A seizing/dry ujoint can do some interesting things as it heats up. My last worn balljoint (D60) would give a clunk on the first brake application, and cause a little tire shimmy on occasion - no binding.

I suppose you could have a weak pump... how are the brakes? (since you have hydroboost). I'm led to believe the hydroboost pump runs at a higher pressure than the vacuum-brake ones. Hot/thin oil bypasses worn parts and seals easier.

FWIW, I believe the Silverado box is the same as what Borgeson/Geno's sells as an upgrade. Two of my buddies run these and like them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your balljoints and ujoints greased and moving properly? A seizing/dry ujoint can do some interesting things as it heats up. My last worn balljoint (D60) would give a clunk on the first brake application, and cause a little tire shimmy on occasion - no binding.

I suppose you could have a weak pump... how are the brakes? (since you have hydroboost). I'm led to believe the hydroboost pump runs at a higher pressure than the vacuum-brake ones. Hot/thin oil bypasses worn parts and seals easier.

FWIW, I believe the Silverado box is the same as what Borgeson/Geno's sells as an upgrade. Two of my buddies run these and like them.
I grease everything regularly . Front axle joints have no grease fittings, but like I said they don't seem to be causing any binding, but that's not saying they aren't if they get warm as you say. I actually had a Borgeson box and shaft on it. Wasn't impressed. Shaft kept seizing up at the slip joint and one of the knuckles wore out. Took it all off and sold it for $50. Maybe it's time to change the front axle joints anyway to see if it makes a difference Thanks for replying

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Watch for rust dust coming out of the cap seals. Also, you can try jacking it up, with the steering cranked over, turn the tire and listen to the joint while feeling for rolling resistance.

I double-checked on the Borgeson box. Its the same as the 02-10 Silverado one. Probably not the box's fault.

The balljoint setup where its pressed into the C seems to not be as durable as the older design that presses into the knuckle. Aftermarket wheels? bigger tires? Do you have the HD T steering?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
When it's hot stop and check fluid for air bubbles in it.
Some fluid can become aerated or foamy when going through a high pressure pump.
I run a PCS box and use GM ps fluid recommended by PCS.
I used to have junky Borgboxs too and only used Lucas Ps fluid in them with no problems like your describing.
If problem persists I would drain the system completely and put new fluid in.
Also get a in line 3/8 magnetic trans filter and install in the return line from the ps box.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch for rust dust coming out of the cap seals. Also, you can try jacking it up, with the steering cranked over, turn the tire and listen to the joint while feeling for rolling resistance.

I double-checked on the Borgeson box. Its the same as the 02-10 Silverado one. Probably not the box's fault.

The balljoint setup where its pressed into the C seems to not be as durable as the older design that presses into the knuckle. Aftermarket wheels? bigger tires? Do you have the HD T steering?
Factory wheels, stock steering set up with moog parts. Once again, left the yard this morning and steering felt nice, more I drove the tighter feeling it got when coming in to corners

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Check what i said earlier immediately after a good drive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'd recommend you drain and flush the PS system as Ram Jam suggested. While the PS reservoir is drained, remove and inspect the main flow valve fitting and pressure relief valve. There is a screen on the pressure relief valve that can get clogged and cause hard steering (See picture below. The main flow valve fitting is top center, the pressure relief valve is bottom right with the screen facing up). I suppose it's plausible that as the PS fluid viscosity changes with heat, it could result in more debris blocking the screen and causing the steering to become harder. A bit of a long shot, but probably worth ruling out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts