Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 19 degrees this morning... The Cummins fires right up no problem, but for the first time after it cranked I started to hear this strange sound that I guess I'd describe as a "whirring" sound... Not high pitch, but no low enough to be a groan... It was tied to the belt system I guess, because the sound went directly with the rpm's as I went through the gears... I could feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal as well... I thought it was just cold related but it lasted the entire 15 minutes that it took to get to work... Something in the fan clutch, frozen moisture in the power steering or brake line...? I don't know, never heard this before...

· Registered
20 Posts
i have the same problem it is moisture in the power steering pump

· Registered
89 Posts
My truck does the same thing in the morning its the power steering pump.

· Registered
57 Posts
mine does same thing. Was 15 degrees this morn. and once truck got good and hot it stopped and was smooth as silk again. Only happens on mine when temp is round 20 or less.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
do a seach... its NOT moisture in the ps, its the pump cavitating causing bubbling of the oil, common cure is flush it out and replace it with synthetic PS fluid or flush it out and add fresh oil & lubguard, in extreme cases the fluid is pushed out of the resivor, and the fault 8 outta ten times can be solved with fresh oil as mentioned above, or replace the hydroboost unit as its dumping its fluid ond over flowing the ps resivior

Reactions: farmboy458

· Crayola spokesperson
6,407 Posts
do a seach... its NOT moisture in the ps, its the pump cavitating causing bubbling of the oil, common cure is flush it out and replace it with synthetic PS fluid or flush it out and add fresh oil & lubguard, in extreme cases the fluid is pushed out of the resivor, and the fault 8 outta ten times can be solved with fresh oil as mentioned above, or replace the hydroboost unit as its dumping its fluid ond over flowing the ps resivior
hes right we get this alot in the dealership during the winter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.