Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Weird screeching noise out of twin setup

1218 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  diesel69
I have quick concern... Just installed ats twins and off idle I hear a loud screech as the turbo spools... Boost is fine, but sound is a Concern... Is that a turbine issue, boost leak or something I should be concerned with?

This is the last of my dumb questions.... Promise
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Do the turbos spin freely? Did you take the turbo guts out of the exhaust housings? If so is everything tight?

· Registered
4,868 Posts
I would make sure all the boost clamps are tight, could be boost sliipping out of 1 of the hoses. Heard this when I fired up the camaro on a fresh motor and damn near shat my pants!! It's an awful screech!!

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the turbos spin freely? Did you take the turbo guts out of the exhaust housings? If so is everything tight?

Yeah I had to pull the insides out and re clock it... There was a tiny bit of shaft play but once charged with oil should be fine...

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked all the hoses and everyhing is ok... Maybe just turbo noise?

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Seems to me, you need to check everything one more time Jerry. Have someone build boost stopped and see where it is coming from. Or you can make your own intake pressure test.

Maybe when you clocked the turbo. The impeller isn't set right and doesn't want to spin freely.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to me, you need to check everything one more time Jerry. Have someone build boost stopped and see where it is coming from. Or you can make your own intake pressure test.

Maybe when you clocked the turbo. The impeller isn't set right and doesn't want to spin freely.
I pulled the boot off and spun the compressor and it spun freely... How do you pressure test?

· Registered
416 Posts
When we installed my grid heater delete, the ATS intake didn't sit down completly flat. It didn't make any noise at idle. When I left the shop and started to push the throttle it started squeling horribly. We had to grind the intake so it would sit flat and that fixed it.
Sean

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might add that I blew off the boot going from the stock turbo into the ats 4k on the freeway while I was testing the boost...I didin't notice noise until after that..

· Registered
416 Posts
So you had you remove the manifold? That was a pain to install...
No, I had to remove the intake horn to install the heater grid delete. When I reinstalled the intake it woulndnt sit flat so we had to grind it down a little to sit flat.
Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.