Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the p0216 code and I dont think this is related but I thought I would mention it.

Sometimes my truck wont start just get a single click from under the hood, I have to press or depress the clutch a cppl times before it will finally start. Then twice now I have noticed that I started it before the wait to start light went off. Truck started fine but there was a high pitch sound coming from under the hood. So I shut the truck off but it keeps running (well more of dieseling along) if I turn the key back on it returns to running normal. I can even shut it off and take the key out. I tried making it stall by putting it in 2nd and stomping on the brakes and it doesn't die eventually by putting the key back in and turning the truck on and off it finally shuts off. Go to start and wait for the wait to start light to go off and it starts up no problem and shuts off no problem.

What could this be? At first i thought may be the switch for the clutch (clutch has to be depressed to start) but I think there is more than that going on.

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
P0216 is always a expensive problem. Check LP pressure immediatelly. Be prepared to spend over a grand eventually.
Now to your issue. We need to know whether it is a "no crank" or "cranking but not starting" issue. At this point, with my radar fully on and weiggy(?) board in operation, I suspect a Ignition switch or wiring issue!!!!!??????!!!!....

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya its a no crank issue, just a click( relay sound) under the hood.

·
New Mexico Chapter Vice President
1,532 Posts
Dude that noise u hear..that high pitched noise..that is your starter sticking..had it happend to me alot of times..and when u just hear the click and u mess with your clutch to get it to start...its just the contacts in your starter that arent making full contact...the starter contact kit is cheap and simple to install..it WILL fix your problem..its a pretty common problem with our trucks...but its cheap and simple to fix

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Ditto on the starter contacts after you identified your issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts