Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys So far this winter it seems like I started noticing on cold days between 20-30 mph I get a whine or howl type noise. Sounds like its coming from the front. When I can get it to come on I've tried pushing in the clutch, Ive tried under acceleration and deceleration, hitting the brakes...not hitting the brakes. I've really tried it all and can't seem to pin point it.

Did a search and saw on another forum other truck owners were complaining of the same 'owl hoot' at the same speed when cold and no one figured it out. couldn't find a thread on here. Am I the only one? anyone else have this?

It seems to be louder the colder the temp is outside. And doesn't seem to matter if I just started driving the truck or I am getting home.

My truck is an 04.5 2wd stock suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a similar noise. Couldn't figure it out til now. In my situation it's turned out to be the throw-out bearing. It mostly does it when I start pushing the clutch or just released it slowly. This could be a possibility in your situation, that is if you have a manual trans.

Good luck getting it figured out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Any vibration with this "howling" ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a similar noise. Couldn't figure it out til now. In my situation it's turned out to be the throw-out bearing. It mostly does it when I start pushing the clutch or just released it slowly. This could be a possibility in your situation, that is if you have a manual trans.

Good luck getting it figured out.
Its a 6spd but I've tried modulating the clutch while the noise is going and it did nothing whether it was in or out or in transition :-/

Any vibration with this "howling" ?
No vibration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had my center bearing go out on the driveshaft , it did that the day after I hit some heavy rain and puddles. The next day after sitting over night, it started howling out of nowhere. At first I thought I was imagining it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
same problem on mine, had it to dealers and they said rear end. NOT, It is coming from drive shaft and I'm thinking center bearing. i just need to convince the dealer that.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hey guys So far this winter it seems like I started noticing on cold days between 20-30 mph I get a whine or howl type noise. Sounds like its coming from the front.
I hear the same thing in my 06, I just told the wife to roll up her window so the wind doesn’t blow thru her ears or just put her in the back seat and lock the windows

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts