Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early last week, I noticed a harmonic vibration coming from my truck.

2006 CTD, AT, Mega, 4x4. 107,000 miles.

Here are the symptoms:
I get a vibration through my steering wheel, and gas pedal, I don't seem to be able to feel it through the brake pedal. I also hear a subtle, but audible whine, somewhat similar to what a ford PS pump sounds like when it's going out.

When this happens:
at 1650 rpm - 1800 rpm, easily repeatable
at about 2700 rpm, hard to pin down here, as the truck is shifting so here it is only for a moment.

When I first heard it, I tried to figure it out. I was able to determine it's RPM related, not gear, or speed related. To me, this means not axle, u-joints, T/C, right?
My first guess was power steering pump. I checked the fluid, and it was low, but not empty. It was not low enough to affect steering or brake power assist. I topped it off, drove it a few miles, then came back, the fluid was kinda dirty, but still red, but it seemed to smell a little bad. So, I drained and refilled the system 3 times, with the synthetic +4 ATF. Now it's clean looking and appears fine. Noise/vibration is still there. When I yanked on the pulley, it didn't seem to move, but I have yet to pull the belt, and see how it spins. As far as I can tell, it does not get worse if you apply brake pressure, or turn the steering wheel (when you put a higher load on the actual hydraulic pump).

I'm hoping its not in the tranny, (I know I will eventually replace it, but I'd rather not at the moment) but could it be something on the input part of the tranny?

I realize its hard to diagnose anything over the internet, or even phone, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with what I'm trying to describe? When it's daylight on Monday, I'll take a better look again.

Thanks,
PE

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
With what you first stated about were you're felling it leeds me to think it might be one of your axle u-joints. Can you get it to do it when you're stopped? If yes then check the tensioner for the belt like what you were thinking.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can reproduce it when I'm stopped. So, that means its something that spins when the engine spins. Like an accessory or pulley.

I hadn't gotten far enough to consider the tensioner, but that would be a good place to start, and likely the least expensive. So, hopefully that's the culprit.

I haven't pulled the belt yet, but I finished my errands, so I should have some time here real quick.

I'll post up what I do/don't find.
PE

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I went out there, and pulled the belt, and spun the tensioner pulley. Sure enough, it ain't happy, so I'm going to replace the tensioner assembly. Sure, I could just change the pulley and bearing, but with 107K, I think the safe play is to do the whole thing.

I'll update when I get it done to see if that solves the issue.
thanks,
PE

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The best bet for the long run would be to replace the whole unit. The spring weakens and can cause other problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gaskell,

I agree with you regarding the 'long term' solution, and I ordered the entire unit.

Car Quest carries them, so no need to go the dealer route, but they do think they are gold-plated. Retail is $265 or something close to that. I didn't pay that, but I know a guy.....:thumbsup:

Anyway, so I picked up the tensioner assembly, and, a new belt as well. Seeing as you virtually HAVE to at least loosen the tensioner to remove the belt, and I hadn't changed the belt since I have owned it, it was due.

Swapped out the belt and tensioner, and whamo-bamo, no more noise (so far). I'll get a better road test on the commute tomorrow, but so far, a couple trips around the block, and it's solved. :party018:

PE

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Right on. Glad you found your problem. And it's even better that you posted something telling all of us what you found. Alot of others fix the problem and leave the rest of us wondering if they figured it out. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts