Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can explain the differences between weight distribution systems for tag trailers that use chains and those that use solid bars instead of chains.

I have a 30ft Pace with a full interior. The trailer is really heavy when loaded. I recently installed some airbags, a rear swaybar, and am looking to get a WD system. My truck pulls the trailer pretty well, but the rear end sagged extremely low..(Before I installed the airbags). I haven't towed yet with the bags, and have a very long trip planned next month.

I'm not really looking for what brand to buy as much as what the pros and cons are for either type. I haven't had the trailer weighed since I built the interior. When it was new and unfinished it was 6200lbs. When loaded now, it's probably double that. It's currently much heavier in the front as I haven't mounted the water/fuel/waste tanks yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, you're way past needing some weight distribution.

Both types achieve the same thing, just different ways. I think the Equalizer system is one of the solid bar WD systems, it also incorporates anti-sway. It's a solid system that a lot of people are happy with. The chain bars that I had didn't incorporate the antisway and I had a separate friction control. It's just a matter of preference I guess.

Go to RV.net and do a search over there. You'll come up with plenty to read to keep you busy for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I prefer the chains. Solid bars make a terrible noise when turning. All that popping and grinding is nerve racking!

Pay some attention to the jack on the trailer, if i remember right Pace only used three bolts. Also, you might consider going to an Atwood electric.

You might be real close to exceeding the axle or tire and wheel capacity, hope you have at least 6000lb. axles.

You probably know all this stuff already but I'm a worrywart so bear with me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer the chains. Solid bars make a terrible noise when turning. All that popping and grinding is nerve racking!

Pay some attention to the jack on the trailer, if i remember right Pace only used three bolts. Also, you might consider going to an Atwood electric.

You might be real close to exceeding the axle or tire and wheel capacity, hope you have at least 6000lb. axles.

You probably know all this stuff already but I'm a worrywart so bear with me.
No worries :beer

I've got triple 5200lb axles, and each tire is rated at 3195lbs.

I am also a huge worrywart! I'd much rather be safe than broke down on the side of the road, or dead in an accident.

I'm leaning at the Equalizer hitch or the Reese setup that goes with my Tow-Beast Class V. Both are rather expensive compared to the chain setups, but I see a lot of folks using the chains. I would like sway control as I use the trailer mainly to go to Glamis, Dumont, and Pismo... Windy..windy..windy!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I am familiar with all of those great places as I used to live in Redlands many years ago.
And I do recognize the wind problem.

You are safe with the 3 axle in a couple of areas. One of course is the weight factor and secondly you will not experience the swaying nearly as much as with a tandem. Good for you. :thumbsup

You did not mention the load of firewood you will probably be hauling in the bed! :lol3:

Last thing, keep those trailer brakes adjusted. Since you do not have a dually that trailer will push the end of your truck around especially when its wet and you are turning and braking.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Guys that have the equalizer systems are very happy with them but they are expensive. I have always used the Reese chain sets and never had a problem with them. A separate friction sway bar and it was good to go. I pulled my old tag trailer with a second bike trailer behind it for almost 100K with that setup.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
^ Looks like you were ready for just about anything.............nice setup!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use to use the chain setup on our old Toy Hauler, then we bought a larger TH and went with the equalizer setup. I like the equalizer alot better, but both systems would squat the truck down some though. The first truck I had was a 2500 4x4 and I had to put air bags on it. I now have a 3500 and does good without the bags.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't know where you are located but I put a wanted ad on craigslist and with in 2 days I had about 6 calls. Bought equalizer setup to $75 that was like new for my 28 foot camper. That is alot better than what they are new.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use the chains.I tow about 7000lbs I love them at 75 mph. I've had to stop real hard they helped keep the trailer behind the truck.:beer

·
Registered
13,678 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
OH, its you! Saw your rig on another occasion. Do you have any rear view cameras?

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Naw, I drove truck for over 30 years so I am used to the length. I can back this off the road, down a 100 foot driveway, take a left and go straight into the barn.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Ha, Ha...........:rof you lie to your friends and I'll lie to mine...........:lol3:

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
You doubt me?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Without trying to start an argument I do indeed doubt that you can back that combo up as easily as you make it sound.

I too have driven over-the-road for most of my adult life so I know of what I speak. I'm 63 now and I would bet most of the money I have (not much) that you can't dp what you said without pulling forward at least five times.

Agree or disagree?

Again, this is all in fun.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
5 times? Not. I grew up on a farm backing up two farm wagons which is a hell of alot harder then backing up my rig. The odd time I will get going crooked and have to pull ahead a bit but not very often. Practice makes perfect. I have been pulling these kinds of rigs since 1994 8 or 9 times a year

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I applaud your skill and ability. How you do it with that short tongued semi trailer is beyond my comprehension. But, as I said.....good on ya!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am familiar with all of those great places as I used to live in Redlands many years ago.
And I do recognize the wind problem.

You are safe with the 3 axle in a couple of areas. One of course is the weight factor and secondly you will not experience the swaying nearly as much as with a tandem. Good for you. :thumbsup

You did not mention the load of firewood you will probably be hauling in the bed! :lol3:

Last thing, keep those trailer brakes adjusted. Since you do not have a dually that trailer will push the end of your truck around especially when its wet and you are turning and braking.
I also forgot to mention the 35 gallons of gas for the bikes, and generator, and about the same amount of water...

I really need to get my water tanks, and fuel station soon!

:beer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts