Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
They opened a star case a week and a half ago with no avail so far. In CA it takes 30 consecutive days for lemon law. We are on the way. So far they don't have the slightest inclination of what to do to repair it.
It does not have to be 30 consecutive days, just a total of 30 or more....

Sam

That's good to know. FCA closed my star case because the dealer opened it originally for electronic/electrical failure. FCA made the dealer open another for transmission/transfercase mechanical issues instead. So now tomorrow starts a whole new host of tests for my Aisin transmission I guess. We will see.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
There is an update in the works for the 12 inch screens. There are quite a few cases of this happening. You are not alone. The good news is that because it's so widespread FCA isn't going to want to wait. I have another truck coming in Monday for this issue. It's not an easy fix and it does require the dealer to keep the truck. In some cases flashing the truck will help. In others a hard reset done at the dealer will cure the issue. The problem is that if either of those fail mid stream the system locks and there's no recovery. The 12" radios are on national backorder with no date for release. I suspect it's because they don't want to ship a radio they already know isn't going to work correctly.

This radio isn't built by FCA. It's sourced. I know ultimately FCA is the company that decided to use it and they have the responsibility to fix it. The radio/system itself has been a huge hit and a big selling point. I really don't think this is going to last long. But it is a big PITA to anyone dealing with it....

If/when I hear of a good fix or update I'll post back on this topic.....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's good to know. FCA closed my star case because the dealer opened it originally for electronic/electrical failure. FCA made the dealer open another for transmission/transfercase mechanical issues instead. So now tomorrow starts a whole new host of tests for my Aisin transmission I guess. We will see.
The minute you qualify under your lemon law, I’d file.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,381 Posts

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
Just got an update on the truck that came in today with this issue. They are zeroing in on the issue...

Step 1: Delete all phones from the truck's system. Delete the truck from all phones that will be in the truck.
Step 2: Do a factory reset. You can do this in the menu screen. It's on the last page and says "delete all personal data"
Step 3: Connect 1 phone to the truck.

If the system stays stable after this then leave it with just 1 phone connected. If the screen drops after doing this, delete the phone from the truck and the phone and run without Bluetooth until the next update comes out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am hoping the update, whenever it comes out will fix mine. The navigation keeps rebooting. It started 3 days after I picked the truck up from Indy. There was a STAR case on it but now my local dealer is telling me the engineers are working on it and the STAR case has been closed.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
I am hoping the update, whenever it comes out will fix mine. The navigation keeps rebooting. It started 3 days after I picked the truck up from Indy. There was a STAR case on it but now my local dealer is telling me the engineers are working on it and the STAR case has been closed.
Hi Don. I hooked the phone up on the truck I was working on this week. It went blank and reset itself after having it hooked up for less than 30 seconds. I deleted the phone and reset the system. His system has been stable since yesterday morning.

You should delete the phones and reset your system. Also delete the truck from your phones so they don't try to connect. I highly suspect this will "fix" the issue until the update comes out. The issue is clearly linked to the Bluetooth connectivity.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi Don. I hooked the phone up on the truck I was working on this week. It went blank and reset itself after having it hooked up for less than 30 seconds. I deleted the phone and reset the system. His system has been stable since yesterday morning.

You should delete the phones and reset your system. Also delete the truck from your phones so they don't try to connect. I highly suspect this will "fix" the issue until the update comes out. The issue is clearly linked to the Bluetooth connectivity.
I am going to try this suggestion. In fact I think I will delete the phones from the truck and the truck from the phones and shut off the bluetooth on my phone. I will then reset the system in the truck. I have to make a 90 mile drive tonight so I can see if it makes a difference.

·
HI
3,444 Posts
There is a procedure for doing a hard reset and a soft reset on the 8.4 radios. Perhaps someone can chime in as to how it is done....hopefully the procedure is the same on yours....maybe this guy @Ram4Sam knows ?
Mine froze today and I tried the hard reset like on my 13 and it didn't do anything. It was actually the first thing I thought of when the screen froze. I tried it in a few different ways and nothing reset it.
When I shut the truck off and restarted it the screen was fine.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
I'm happy to report that the screen in my '17 won't freeze until late October, or thereabouts.

No, wait, it still won't. I avoided the whole screen thing by ordering the next lowest level radio.
I'm golden!

·
Registered
689 Posts

I tried this last night and made a 90 mile drive. It did the same thing. Even with no phone paired it still didn’t work.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just got an update on the truck that came in today with this issue. They are zeroing in on the issue...

Step 1: Delete all phones from the truck's system. Delete the truck from all phones that will be in the truck.
Step 2: Do a factory reset. You can do this in the menu screen. It's on the last page and says "delete all personal data"
Step 3: Connect 1 phone to the truck.

If the system stays stable after this then leave it with just 1 phone connected. If the screen drops after doing this, delete the phone from the truck and the phone and run without Bluetooth until the next update comes out.
I did all if this and it didn’t work for me. I then tried steps 1 and two only and I got the same results. I think my issue is caused by something different. My Nav goes into a reboot cycle at seemingly random times when not using it for guidance as well as when I enter a destination. Sometimes the destination takes and sometimes it doesn’t. I have noticed recently I can use the navigation in the half screen mode and it seems to work. The issue with that is I can only enter recent or favorite destinations.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I will keep working on all this....
I went for a drive to Connecticut from the Burlington VT area for a couple of days. The Nav worked fine, it didn’t reboot once the whole trip. I am back in the Burlington area and it is rebooting again. I am beginning to think the problem may be in the map database as it only acts up in this area.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Took my truck back to shop for the 3rd time regarding same issue black or frozen screen, Bluetooth nor Uconnect works.
They gave me a star publication that says”Do not replace radio for customer to wait till the end of the frickin year for an update.
I am waiting for a call from FCA , I contacted them (FCA) and a lemon law attorney.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Took my truck back to shop for the 3rd time regarding same issue black or frozen screen, Bluetooth nor Uconnect works.
They gave me a star publication that says”Do not replace radio for customer to wait till the end of the frickin year for an update.
I am waiting for a call from FCA , I contacted them (FCA) and a lemon law attorney.
Talked to my FCA case manager for the 1st time and that was useless. She said that until Ram has another update at the end of the year that they couldn’t do anything since my truck was functioning.
I went round and round with the rep about the word functioning and that being a subjective statement. Their stance is as long as the truck will drive it’s irrelevant whether the 12” display and all functions tied to it are inoperable. She kept saying “if I could fix it I would” which in my eyes was a bit condescending.
She said as a formality she could escalate it for the buyback program but 90% are kicked back within days because the truck is driveable.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
By the end if the year, FCA could be the new owner of your truck if you start buy back proceedings now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
By the end if the year, FCA could be the new owner of your truck if you start buy back proceedings now.
Not getting my hopes up on a quote of 10% qualify for buy back program but I will keep you posted.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts