Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My $80k iPad has a frozen screen, anybody know any tricks to eliminate an hour drive to the dealership.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's a bummer. You could try disconnecting both batteries and then touching the positive cable to ground. Leave them unhooked for 10 min and see if it works. No guarantee but just takes a bit of time.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Aaron,

I went out to move the truck a short while ago and everything seemed fine but I didn’t think to put in reverse and back up because it seems that may have been where the problem started.
I backed to unload some material and when I started truck up to leave the 360 camera was still on and the screen was frozen.

I will test that in the am.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s been working fine today so am going to hold out until it happens again.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Thank You Aaron,

I went out to move the truck a short while ago and everything seemed fine but I didn’t think to put in reverse and back up because it seems that may have been where the problem started.
I backed to unload some material and when I started truck up to leave the 360 camera was still on and the screen was frozen.

I will test that in the am.
Just out of curiosity, you didn't happen to turn the ignition off when the truck was still in reverse, did you? That's the sort of thing that's commonly missed on testing because it's not supposed to happen, and the test designers weren't smart enough or thorough enough to consider it. My father-in-law had a first gen new beetle turbo. If you turned off the ignition while it was still in drive and the driver's door was open, the electronics would reliably lock up solid. Upon restart, lights would flash, no way to stop the warning dinging, couldn't shift... instrument panel just a mass of warning lights with dead gauges. Battery disconnect would fix it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, you didn't happen to turn the ignition off when the truck was still in reverse, did you? .
That’s a possibility I Because I have done that on more than one occasion in my other truck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took to dealership Wednesday and they couldn’t find anything wrong so they opened a case with FCA.

Got in today to go for a drive in the country and no frickin sound, not on bluetooth, XM, FM or even sound via cellphone call.

Should have kept my 2017 Power Wagon

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
And here I've been reading numerous posts about how the '19's are superior to even sliced bread. And then some.

Then again, I have seen quite a few that warned about buying a first-year model, too.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
It’s been working fine today so am going to hold out until it happens again.
There is a procedure for doing a hard reset and a soft reset on the 8.4 radios. Perhaps someone can chime in as to how it is done....hopefully the procedure is the same on yours....maybe this guy @Ram4Sam knows ?

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
There is a procedure for doing a hard reset and a soft reset on the 8.4 radios. Perhaps someone can chime in as to how it is done....hopefully the procedure is the same on yours....maybe this guy @Ram4Sam knows ?
Be careful of this guy......who knows what he knows.......:wink2:

Never had to deal with this....the new radios are most likely a different animal.

I did take a look at a 19' the other day......nice.

Sam

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got in it yesterday morning and everything worked so again loaded up the truck for a drive to the mountains. We get two hours up into the blue ridge mountains and are driving along listening to music and watching nav so we know where to go and whole screen goes black. No sound, nothing worked that required touchscreen use. So back to the dealership tomorrow. I also noticed while it was black about three spots that were white like bubbles under a screen protector.

A) Is there a screen protector on these units

B) For those that have experience with the lemon laws what is required to take place for a vehicle to fall into that category?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
B) For those that have experience with the lemon laws what is required to take place for a vehicle to fall into that category?
It depends on the state. It looks like North Carolina's calls a car a lemon if (a) repaired four or more times for the same defect under warranty, (b) in the shop 20 business days or more under warranty for the same defect, (c) still has the defect under warranty and the manufacturer refuses or is unable to repair it.

That's pretty standard. Most of them are 30 days in the shop for the same problem within the first year or two. Some states require 60 days, 5 repairs, some fewer, etc.

If it's deemed a lemon, you are due a refund minus mileage or a new replacement.

Hmmm.... what I see says it applies to vehicles weighing less than 10,000 lb. Doesn't say whether that's empty or GVW. Also can't find a term other than "under warranty".

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to www.ncconsumer.org
I found the answer for this one, it just has to go to the dealership for 4 times for the same problem or spend 20 days or more at the dealership and it qualifies for the lemon law.

They also state not to proceed without an attorney and don’t worry because attorneys fees are paid by manufacturers and most don’t require anything up front.

So tomorrow will be visit two for the same thing I guess at visit 3 ( hopefully it doesn’t happen ) I will seek counsel.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
According to www.ncconsumer.org
I found the answer for this one, it just has to go to the dealership for 4 times for the same problem or spend 20 days or more at the dealership and it qualifies for the lemon law.

They also state not to proceed without an attorney and don’t worry because attorneys fees are paid by manufacturers and most don’t require anything up front.

So tomorrow will be visit two for the same thing I guess at visit 3 ( hopefully it doesn’t happen ) I will seek counsel.
Been down this rabbit hole myself.......:banghead: Best thing to do is educate yourself on the process, it will be less frustrating. Go to NC dmv website and read up on the lemon law process and see exactly what the req's are, they are usually pretty specific. Document EVERYTHING... phone calls,dealer visits, etc. You should have got a book with your new truck that explains the warranty/lemon law process also. I went through the arbitration process, no lawyer but the same rules, much faster. Check out www.ncdsusa.org

Next time the radio acts up, do a cell phone video of all that is happening, that really helped out in my case, not so much with the legal process but showing the dealer what is going on......since the truck most likely won't do it when they have the truck.

Good luck

Sam

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ram4Sam,

Great info, thanks for sharing. They said due to the build date my truck is too new too new to be compatible with the current update. The tech said if it happened again they want to pull dash and radio so I would need to leave the truck.
Not real keen on that, I think the only way I will let them use my truck for a guinea pigs is if they throw in a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
Hey Ram4Sam,

Great info, thanks for sharing. They said due to the build date my truck is too new too new to be compatible with the current update. The tech said if it happened again they want to pull dash and radio so I would need to leave the truck.
Not real keen on that, I think the only way I will let them use my truck for a guinea pigs is if they throw in a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty.

This statement by the your dealer....after my experience with FCA, I'm getting a whiff of Bandini from those words.......

During the months and months they were chasing the electrical gremlins in the dash of my eventually bought back truck, I threw that out there to FCA and they actually did it......:smile2:

Sam

·
Registered
195 Posts
You aren't alone with dealer frustrations. My truck has been at the dealer for 17 days now and still no word on a repair for my SERV 4WD light. I'm super bummed. I've put 3k plus in add one since I bought the truck. I hope they get your repairs under wraps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man Zackolas,

That sucks, I hate to hear that. Do they have a STAR case opened up on it? It is my understanding that they released our version of radio/electronics without beta testing. What date is the starting point no clue and not that our trucks do anything different than earlier builds they are just somehow different in the configuration.
My state says if the truck stays in the shop for 20 days or longer for the Sam problem it qualifies as a lemon law vehicle. It’s a tough call because I love my truck but if it comes down to that with mine I am going with a 2020 GMC 2500 Denali. My brother retired from GM and his wife still works there so the family can buy 2 vehicles a year at GMS pricing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Man Zackolas,

That sucks, I hate to hear that. Do they have a STAR case opened up on it? It is my understanding that they released our version of radio/electronics without beta testing. What date is the starting point no clue and not that our trucks do anything different than earlier builds they are just somehow different in the configuration.
My state says if the truck stays in the shop for 20 days or longer for the Sam problem it qualifies as a lemon law vehicle. It’s a tough call because I love my truck but if it comes down to that with mine I am going with a 2020 GMC 2500 Denali. My brother retired from GM and his wife still works there so the family can buy 2 vehicles a year at GMS pricing.
They opened a star case a week and a half ago with no avail so far. In CA it takes 30 consecutive days for lemon law. We are on the way. So far they don't have the slightest inclination of what to do to repair it.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
They opened a star case a week and a half ago with no avail so far. In CA it takes 30 consecutive days for lemon law. We are on the way. So far they don't have the slightest inclination of what to do to repair it.
It does not have to be 30 consecutive days, just a total of 30 or more....

Sam

1 - 20 of 42 Posts