Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have weak power steering? I cant get mine to turn the tires while stopped. Increasing the RPM does not help either. I went back to stock wheels and tires too and still cannot get it to do it.

· Registered
183 Posts
Everyone has problems with their powersteering dodge has an undersized pump. Mine feels like there is no power steering if you are stopped or going real slow.

· Registered
961 Posts
My 08 doesn't have any problems at all with the 35 12.50"s I have but my 07.5 Mega wouldn't hardly turn my 33"s if I was stopped. I had to creep forward or backwards to get it to turn.

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another reason...
Motor Weight
Cummins 1150 lbs
Hemi V-8 550 lbs
Ya the weight difference makes sense but it doesnt make up for the fact my brothers 08 has no problems with 37X12.5, same truck, motor, tranny etc. You would also think with the extra weight dodge would engineer a better pump for the diesels??

· Registered
58 Posts
If you are stopped with brakes applied, you will have troubles the power steering not going to power through your brakes

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
dodge warranty mine and it works great now

· Registered
236 Posts
i'm on my second dodge pump. first one was producing metal shaves and alot of noise at 35,000 miles. no warranty do to lift and tires

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well im taking mine in in the morning. Truck is cutting out when its below normal operating temp when shifting. Going to have them look at the power steering too while its there.

· Registered
19 Posts
My pump just stopped workin on my 2007.5 mega cab. I took it in to dodge and wow let me tell you a story. The dealer said they were on back order. So i waited two weeks and they said dodge decided to pull them all off the shelf and I would have to wait until dodge redesinged the pump. I then brought up the question if I have to drive this truck for a month and a half with no powersteering and i get into an accident who is at fault? The dodge dealer gave me the number directly to dodge where I got a case manager and a case number. They said they would give me a loaner vehicle which was going to be a 2 wheel drive dodge dakota plus they would only approve of the rental for 5 days and I would have to pay out of pocket and then wait to get reembuirsed. What a joke. I was supposed to head to northern Minn. Ice fishing and a 2 wheel drive dakota would get me nowhere up there. So i just drove my truck. Well here we are a month later and i still have no pump. They said it should be here mid Feb if they expedite me one from dodge. I got to say the dealer has been awesome to work with since they are still doing warranty work on a truck with all the deletes done to it. Dodge on the other hand just made me laugh when they told me that a dakota was all I could get. What if I was a guy who used my truck to haul a 35ft trailer every day for a living? I would be screwed. Anyways that was my experience with dodge.

· Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW sorry to hear that. I was surprised to see that you found this thread and resurrected it from the dead. I'm still having issues with mine and trying to figure out how to make it go out completely so i can get another one. How did yours stop working?? Your fault or the trucks?

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
One of my co-workers worked on the system when it was designed for the 03 trucks. The problem is that the hydraboost system can't handle really high pressures. So to preserve it's life the pump pressure is regulated artificially low, which makes turning the wheels at a dead stop more or less impossible depending on the truck.

Ideally a relief valve should be placed between the hydraboost supply and return lines and the relief pressure turned up on the pump and that would solve ALL low speed turning issues (though it might slightly shorten pump life because of the increased internal pressure)

Reactions: Powder_Keg

· Registered
390 Posts
If your brakes aren't working well then it is probably your pump. My brakes went out and steering and it was the pump you pour the. Steering fluid in. Like 150$

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.