Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 5.9l 2500, 203k miles, vaccuum gauge, no aftermarket parts.

Clean/new air filter, use fuel additives, clean engine. Things I know that help. I've searched a lot of forums and that's all I've found.

Any other ideas? I'm not looking for internal problem advice like injectors, just general info on my higher mileage truck. I've never owned a Cummins, so I don't know if there is anything specific that would help.Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Uh, keep your foot out of it?

If it is smoking enough driving it regularly on stock parts that you have to ask the question then likely you have something "internally" wrong as you would say...

So not sure what you want out of this thread? There's a lot out there on this forum about excessive smoke...I would start there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just trying to see if there is anything specific that I should/can do for this motor. It doesn't belch out a bunch smoke, or even put out very much, I'm trying to avoid increasing it, and decrease it if I can.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Just trying to see if there is anything specific that I should/can do for this motor. It doesn't belch out a bunch smoke, or even put out very much, I'm trying to avoid increasing it, and decrease it if I can.
If it's a haze, depending on the lighting conditions, temperature, elevation, etc, you will likely see something, always. You're only going to get a burp of black smoke if you're tuned incorrectly, or if you get underneath the turbo. If there's no symptoms of anything wrong with your truck, drive it as normal. You're not going to "lessen" the smoke/haze that the engine produces in stock form. Programmers allow you to adjust timing and things like that to get a cleaner, longer burn and such. But there's no magic potion/snake oil that's going to clear everything up. It's a diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool beans. Thank you for the info. I had an 01 7.3 Ford before this that I sold with 540k on it, and I hardly ever saw anything. That's why I was slightly concerned.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Black smoke is indicative of unburned ( i.e. not fully burned) diesel.

The only ways that I know of to safely reduce black smoke is to:

#1) Add more air

#2) Reduce the amount of fuel

Achieving #1 can only be done by adding a larger turbo to push more air

Achieving #2 can be done by--

1) moderation with your right foot
2) changing fueling parameters with after market tuning

just my .02

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
If it still has the cat,warm it up thoroughly and make a half dozen full throttle runs. Maybe 2800 rpms,up hill helps. You only need maybe 20 seconds or so. As I drive for fuel economy my cat doesn't get that hot nor does much air go through it as with a truck that pulls at high rpm up grades etc. This suggestion courtesy of a Cummins master tech on the TDR
Give it a go it works for me. I have a cleaner rear quarter and exhaust smoke with EFI over the Smarty I had prior.
Regarding the lack of smoke on your 7.3,it didn't have a cat and if stock didn't smoke much from the factory by law.
Throw $7K worth of Banks on one like my friend's and you can get it to smoke like a banshee and reeks accordingly.
P.S Don't have anybody behind you.

·
Trying to learn
5,441 Posts
Boost and vacuum are opposite things!
Boost Gauge.
Auto trans or manual?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Are you positive everything is stock? When my 06 was stock I could lay into the throttle and never see any smoke. Later without the cat but still all stock I could BARELY see a haze if I was in it hard almost lugging it. Literally couldn't get smoke if you tried. 5000ft elevation. I kinda miss those days. I've worked with my tuner to get smoke tuned out but I think I'm as good as it's going to get.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Are you positive everything is stock? When my 06 was stock I could lay into the throttle and never see any smoke. Later without the cat but still all stock I could BARELY see a haze if I was in it hard almost lugging it. Literally couldn't get smoke if you tried. 5000ft elevation. I kinda miss those days. I've worked with my tuner to get smoke tuned out but I think I'm as good as it's going to get.
One would almost need to leave the stock timing table in place and just mess around with fueling ever so slightly to try and get a better driving truck to keep smoke down.

Injector builder also makes a huge difference. Some injectors are more hazy than others. BBi seem to be the cleanest, quietest, most smooth injectors. At least from my reading.

Otherwise, it almost seems impossible to get smoke to a true *0* factor.

One thing I plan to try and accomplish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
One would almost need to leave the stock timing table in place and just mess around with fueling ever so slightly to try and get a better driving truck to keep smoke down.

Injector builder also makes a huge difference. Some injectors are more hazy than others. BBi seem to be the cleanest, quietest, most smooth injectors. At least from my reading.

Otherwise, it almost seems impossible to get smoke to a true *0* factor.

One thing I plan to try and accomplish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Part of it could be my sac injectors. One thing I noticed last year was that ambient temperature seems to have a large effect on the smoke. When ambient was around 100 is when I noticed it the most. I try to keep it off the salty roads in the winter so I haven't driven it in a while. When I bust it out this year I will be paying extra attention to the smoke relative to the ambient temps. I think the problem is exaggerated when pulling a trailer and getting the intercooler heat soaked such as slowing down to go through a town and stop lights. Getting moving again without fairly thick haze is challenging.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
200k on the engine it self is nothing. Injectors may be a different story.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Frequent causes of black smoke include:

Dirty air filter - remove and inspect
Boost leak - make/buy boost leak detector, check for leaks with compressed air
Bad injector(s) - kill and contribution tests to diagnose
Over sized (dirty) injectors installed by previous owner
Bad (or dirty) IAT sensor - remove and clean with spray MAP/MAF sensor cleaner. Check with multimeter
Bad (or dirty) MAP sensor - remove and clean, check with multimeter
Bad tuning - especially with aftermarket tuners - return to stock tune to diagnose
Exhaust system loaded up with soot from too much stop and go / low RPM use
Turbo failing- remove intake tube and check for shaft play

Previous owner may have left an aftermarket tune on the truck
For more clues - check for codes (key on/off 3 times, leave on 3rd time, codes appear in odometer)
Eliminate the easy/cheap stuff first. On a high mileage truck with unknown history, injectors are definitely suspect

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
We were in Mammoth several years ago and I had to return my '07 to stock with my Smarty. It smoked so badly even on the 30 hp tune. On the 30-60 hp tune it'd smoke really bad at 6000ft when I tromped on it. With my Anarchy EFI it's much better. I can only imagine what a custom tune would do for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts