Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
now i kno the bigger the pipe and the less piping the exhaust has to go throw creates a louder, deeper sound :peelout

but what are your thoughts on ways to building a LOUD exhaust system? and what can i do to bring the cummins out of my truck to the max? :woot:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
loud isnt always good, unless you dont mind not being able to think goin down the road. i have a 4in straight pipe...plenty loud and turns plenty of head.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Weld a 2 foot long lead pipe below the floor boards. That should do the trick!

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you want it to sound like a vp 24 valve which in my opinion are the loudest of them all put a vp exhaust manifold on at least this is what ive been told

·
Registered
520 Posts
loud

loud isnt always good, unless you dont mind not being able to think goin down the road. i have a 4in straight pipe...plenty loud and turns plenty of head.
I Agree my 4" straight piped with a 6" tip is plenty loud, and at idle it just barks at you...I like that alot:hyper:

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Weld a 2 foot long lead pipe below the floor boards. That should do the trick!
cut a hole and point that pipe straight up thru the hood .. That will do the trick AND win you the Darwin award for sure.:rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
387 Posts
strait pipe into stacks is what you need! I run 4" inches into 5" curved top stacks....love it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whatever you end up doing to make your truck loud - be sure to arrange it so that it's not alot of grief to undo or change later on. The noise or drone will start to get to you - depending on whether you haul or run at a certain speed down the road. There are plenty of 'free flowing' exhaust options that are not abusive to the driver/passengers :)

My current setup is (in my hearing anyway) low and throaty for rumbling thru the neighborhoods at nite (don't want to wake everyone up) and is pretty loud when I get on it to get into traffic, etc...

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
strait pipe into stacks is what you need! I run 4" inches into 5" curved top stacks....love it
I agree. My friends truck has 4" back to 6" stacks. and it sounds great. Sounds like a straigh piped mack truck when e shifts.

My truck has 3" striaght to 5" stacks and sounds good to. But I have a 4cyl cummins.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
if you wanna runs stack go 4in out to 6in stacks, or if you want it to come out the back run 4 or 5 with a 6 inch tip...sounds killer.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Cut a hole in the floor and run an elbow up throught the middle of the cab so its right by your ear...

Or go 5" straight into 6" stacks. Ask me how I know..:lol3:

·
Registered
990 Posts
4" straight pipe here, just cut off the cat and muffler and welded up a pipe. i like the noise i get.

when i play with the pedal i can make the turbo downspool like an 18-wheeler, scares the hell out of peopl ein the city

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
loud is when you cut your exhaust so it ends under the passenger seat, i drove around like that for a couple days before i got my muffler delete pipe and everybody had to look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And when you cut the exhaust off right under the passenger seat you get a nice foot massage when you get on it. :lol3: I have 4 inch straight pipe with a 5 inch tip, it's plenty loud and shakes my neighbors house.:thumbsup

·
Registered
341 Posts
Im runnin dual 4" on mine with MBRP muffler only... Its not to loud at idle... But under a load it gets pretty loud.... Buddy of mine has a 04.5 straight piped and its loud... Lots louder than mine... And mine can be heard blocks away...

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
mine has a four inch straight pipe with a six inch tip and it turns plenty of heads, i lucked out, i fabricated my own exhaust so i have no drone in the cab, but its loud outside, everycar i pass just stares at me and shakes their head... :lol3:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
my friend has a 4 in staight just like i do. we cut off the cat off and put a banks muffler(we have the same setup).
its pretty loud but it doesn't sound that great. so he just slapped on a 5" turbo back from silver line....this setup sound freak'n awsome guys. not loud at all unless you get on it...........so guess what i have mine on order now aswell.:lol3::thumbsup:beer:$::peelout

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
4 inch straight pipe to 6 inch stacks. Everyone tells me its too loud. I live in some hills and im sure my neighbors dont like the sound of my truck at 4 am goin up the hills.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts