Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had bad luck lately with water pumps I am on my 3rd one in almost a year now. I get them from oreillys auto parts here in town and my question is should I just break down and go to the dodge dealer to buy a OEM one or is there a Better company out there to buy from? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I went through 2 pumps from CarQuest in a month, they just wouldn't hold. Broke down and got a Mopar one, 3 years later still good. But like Drew said go to Cummins first!! They are cheaper 90% of the time, you will need your engine number off the side of your valve cover to get parts from them...

Reactions: 2thousand4

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Each of mine started leaking from the weep hole on the pump. Thanks guys I'll get ahold of the cummins guys on Monday with my info. Any idea what a cummins one would run price wise??

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
I have had good luck with the napa water pumps.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had good luck with the napa water pumps.
Agree

You can pay the big buck for a dealer item and still get a foreign made water pump. Napa's water pumps have "lifetime warranties" and are the same as Gates water pumps. You can buy the Gates from Genos and Rock Auto . I'll bet if Genos is selling Gates water pumps to their customers, they are lasting longer than 3 months. FWIK, poor quality coolant can cause premature pump failure. Just make sure you have good coolant.

(2004 DODGE RAM 2500 PICKUP Water Pump)

·
Registered
307 Posts
The one I bought from cummins was in a cummins genuine parts box. Maybe 150$ or so I can't remember

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i got a parts master one from bumper to bumper it came with a lifetime warranty and was like 60 bucks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Only problem with a parts warranty is you still have to take it back off and take it in to get it replaced.

·
SuperModerator
10,603 Posts
The Gates WP I got from RockAuto for under $30, is working fine still after 7 months.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am on my 3rd water pump. My truck has 80k on it now. First 2 where OEM, 3rd and current water pump is a napa brand.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The stock water pump is made by Bosch. You can get an OEM bosch water pump from pepboys for around $99 with a lifetime warranty. Just like the OEM ignition switch is a duralast sold by autozone. Most of the parts on these trucks are not made by dodge. When my original water pump failed I was still able to read the laser inscription that said Bosch with a manufacturing number on it. Make sure your coolant is clean and fresh or it can damage the water pump seal. Also only use white lithium grease on the large oring. Other grease will break down the rubber and cause it to fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts