Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just replaced my water pump... STILL LEAKING! :banghead: STEADY LEAK! :doh: ... leaking from the bottom right side. im just gonna get it to a shop tomorrow and let them empty my pockets. i have such great luck. :S:

· Registered
2,754 Posts
I guess you used the crappy gasket and not a little gasket maker. I have rebuilt 3 cummins motors and not one sealed with the factory gasket pulled the pump off and put a bead of gasket maker on it and no leaks yet.

· Registered
147 Posts
Don't do that. Take it back off and make sure the gasket/o ring didn't fall out if it did just get you a new one and put grease in the crack of the pump so the o ring stays. Also make sure the face on the block is okay.. Hope that helps
Tommy

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:banghead: wow haha so that water pump i put on... the [email protected] o ring in one little spot was pinched outside creating a tiny gap to leak. so i took it back off yesterday.. sealed the heII out of it and put it right back. thermostat- no problem. why cant it all be as easy as a thermostat lol

· Registered
147 Posts
You don't even want to know how many times I have screwed that o ring up installing a water pump... they are a pain. I use a little grease to hold it in place.. Glad you got it going.. I'm not a big fan of rtv sealant. That is my own choice not to use it unless I feel its required. most cases I won't use anything other then the o ring.

· Premium Member
1,302 Posts
i did same thing o ring pinched in a rush . got new o ring and made sure that time.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha I definately rushed. Got home from work set up a work light and started. I wish I had a garage to work in.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
You don't even want to know how many times I have screwed that o ring up installing a water pump... they are a pain. I use a little grease to hold it in place.. Glad you got it going.. I'm not a big fan of rtv sealant. That is my own choice not to use it unless I feel its required. most cases I won't use anything other then the o ring.
:agree2: maybe a dab just to hold it in place for instalation, but grease works better. Its easier to clean off if you screw up have to do it again.:doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.