Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always replace the oem 190 or 200 degree thermostats with Cummins 5292708. Any time I do a cooling system or egr cooler repair. Same manufacturer. Just a 180 degrees. They are $17 on eBay. Cheapest Iv found them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good thread. Just did my water pump, t-stat, tensioner, and belt. I had done most of this about six years ago so I knew what I was getting into. FWIW, the last time I used all cummins stuff, except didn't do the tensioner. This time found that the cummins water pump bearing let go big time. Coolant was leaking out the front under the pulley. The shaft was so loose I couldn't believe it, and wobble, like I never had seen before. Was very surprised!

So this time I went with everything Gates. The cost was just about what it cost last time for just the waterpump and t-stat. So far very happy, been driving about a week just to and from work. So far no issues. I was impressed with how clean the coolant was, but nevertheless, I poured in 4-5 gallons of coolant to finish the job.

Gates water pump

Cummins water pump

Tensioners

Thermostats

Belt

Last time I did this I researched all the Cummins forums and spent way too much time deciding which way to go on parts and the majority advised going with Cummins parts. This time I did not find so many that were on the side of the Cummins parts, in fact I had found some that had issues with parts. So since this isn't a real big deal to do i'll take the gamble and use Gates stuff. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I also used a Gates kit when I did mine, including a Gates heavy duty Green Stripe belt. Check out Genos Garage for parts and specialized tools to make the job easier. Fair warning, the tensioner can be a bit of a pain pain to change out. In hind sight, I should have just removed the fan shroud instead of fighting the minimal clearance issue with the tensioner and belt. Make sure you get a printout of the belt diagram before you take it apart. Some trucks have a sticker with a belt diagram. Mine didn't so I printed one off the internet.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Duplicate post - please delete

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
So true.

Gates Green Stripes squeal like Ned Beatty on a good day; their best use is on something like a school bus, where access is limited, as they do have a longer service life.

I have a dwindling stash of NOS Dayco top cog belts & NOS Dayco tensioner/pulley units (Dayco was the OEM supplier for 12 valve engines), and their non EDPM rubber is much more forgiving of coolant/oil spills; albeit with a 10-15% lesser service life.

When the stash is used up, it will be Conti CoolRunner (Goodyear Gatorback) belts for me, or Dayco "W cog".

and if you're replacing the belt, nothing but OE or Continental (which used to be Goodyear gatorback).
I mistakenly used a parts store belt (Gates maybe), twice. They work, but they squeak, slip, chirp at the first sign of getting wet or coolant on them or oils. Even id you clean the daylights out of them. After 2 belts, I bought the Continental belt, no squealing for a few years now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can create more room to work but removing the upper fan shroud fasteners and putting a socket or other spacer to move the shroud forward a bit. I have big hands and that created enough room (still get scratched up a bit, though).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts