Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of rigging up a water mist sprayer that sprays a fine mist of water on the intercooler and my fuel cooler up front. I've done a little searching and they sell kits for it. But does it work and cool better than just air flow? They say the key is to get a fine enough mist so that it evaporates instantly, the evaporation is what causes the lower temps. So would mister nozzles you get from home depot work, or are they not fine enough?

Anyone know anything about how this might work? Will it cool down the intercooler enough to make a difference in MPG? ... Or is this another Acetone in your fuel bunch of malarkey? :lol3:

On a side note we got up to the 90's here in Sacramento yesterday and when working on my fuel system the return fuel was HOT. I mean really hot, it burnt my hands... and this fuel is going back to the tank. It's not even summer yet, I can imagine when it's 110 outside. So I put my fuel cooler back behind the grill and this time am cooling the return. We'll see if that has more of a benefit than cooling the fuel going in.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i thought about doing the same thing but only for dyno or sled pulling. would take a lot of water for everyday use. then i got the spearco and you can tell the difference just by putting your hands on the inlet and outlet. it's really amazing. as for the fuel cooler not sure if that would yeild any gains or not? might be worth a try.??

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Try it and see. I think that the major problem would be getting the mist to carry when motering down the highway just because of the LARGE VOLUMN of air that is being pushed by just the vehicle meeting the wind. Nozzles that work in smaller confined areas like the intake do not have the problem of having to flow across a 41 inch length and 20 inch height of the intercooler. JMHO

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
i think it would work pretty good, the STI's and the EVO's have it stock, i know there is a comapany out there that does it with some cryo stuff. and also i think NX makes a kit called the N-Ter coller which is a spray rail that attaches to the intercooler and has a bunch of tiny pin holes in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts