Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Water Meth Kit?

1725 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SuperISBee
Im wanting to add a water/meth kit from snow performance to my truck soon to cool down the egt's and to pick up more power. Do you think this is a safe mod with what I have done already? Also would head studs be necessary if I add this kit?
I have max boost set at 35psi on the edge now.
Also still stock hx35.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Im wanting to add a water/meth kit from snow performance to my truck soon to cool down the egt's and to pick up more power. Do you think this is a safe mod with what I have done already? Also would head studs be necessary if I add this kit?
I have max boost set at 35psi on the edge now.
Also still stock hx35.
Running 50/50 W/M will not lower your EGT's... if your lucky they may stay the same. If you notice a EGT change on 50/50 it will most likely go up not down.

Running 100% h2o will lower your EGT's.

If your honestly looking for a way to lower EGT's upgrade your turbo to match your injectors. Maybe not as cheap - better option though.

Headstuds are always a beneficial upgrade. Not a must at your power level - good insurance nonetheless.

Then add a little 50/50 W/M for a little power bump.:thumbsup:
Reactions: 1
Stud the head tight and get a bigger charger..
Ok thanks for the input
False advertising then? They claim 100-200º drop?
I don't know? Unless it depends on your set up?
I wouldn't go as far as claiming false advertising - Misleading, yes. False is a little to harsh for me. Water injection will certainly lower EGT's. That is why you'll see pulling teams running water injection, not W/M. This is not to say there are no teams running w/m - I'm just saying water injection is the norm.

With a higher water ratio, say W=75/M=25 you may start seeing a drop in EGT's. A drop in EGT's will not occur at a 50/50 ratio, which, by the way is not equal amounts of water to methanol (science at play here). If one choses to run -20 windshield washer fluid this ratio may provide a EGT drop.

I've experimented with my w/m setup a lot.... from 1 stage - 2 stages... various onset psi's..... progressive injection...... all at once (thinks hobbs switch), numerous nozzle sizes etc.... I mix my own to a 50/50 mix with distilled water and VP M1 non lubed methanol.

All I'm saying is a true 50/50 W/M mix will not provide a drop in EGT's.... period! (Unless you "quench" the fire, then, you'll see a drop for sure):thumbsup:
See less See more
Great info! So with being said would it be safe to run a higher ratio of water on a daily driver?
Seems like this is more beneficial in the warmer months of the year when you can run mostly water. In the winter id be about forced to run a 50/50 mix.
Great info! So with being said would it be safe to run a higher ratio of water on a daily driver?
On a daily driver you can run straight H2O, of course until mother nature turns it into a solid. Wonder if it is cold in Colorado right now???

SuperISBee's advice really is the best. Water injection is really not a cure, either step the fuel down or step the air up. Ocasionally a guy will have an issue with the injection setup allowing the pump to run when the engine is off. Go to start and you get to learn about hydro lock. It's not common and usually the result of redneck installation.
Guess its time to upgrade turbo and sell the wm kit thats still on the workbench....
Guess its time to upgrade turbo and sell the wm kit thats still on the workbench....
Why not run the meth kit and turbo?
Don't need both...all I want is lower egts, not looking for the help of meth to add hp. My stock tranny is limiting my hp output. :^(
Very safe..... 100% water is also very safe (weather dependent)!

You could start out with using blue -20 windshield washer fluid and see how that works.
I run a 50 50 mix and it seems to lower my egts towing?
I run a 50 50 mix and it seems to lower my egts towing?
How are you achieving your mix?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.