Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been pouring rain all day. I went to put the truck in the shop and I heard water dripping. My first thought was I left the sunroof cracked. When I started looking water was coming out of the two plugs on the passenger side grap handle on the pillar. Anyone else have this happen. I'm assuming it is coming from the top corner where the windshield and trim meet. Any thoughts?

Tom

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I would say that something with the sunroof seal is leaking or possibly the Door Seals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning the headliner around the pillar is like a sponge. Push it with a finger and it pours.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Yikes, i would go right to the dealer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you ever fix this problem ?? I now have the same issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 08 3500 drw and I've also got a leak on the passenger side hand hold strap. How did you fix the problem? and is dodge aware of the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried to make the truck leak to find the problem and have not been able to duplicate. Asked the dealer about it and got the typical response. They wanted to send the truck somewhere and said it would take two weeks.

Tom

·
Registered
382 Posts
It could be the clearance lights. I think they had a TSB out on them. Mine all had to be replaced.

·
Mopar fanatic
35 Posts
OK did anyone find some resolution to this problem?

I have now had a small leak (twice) coming from the top bolt hole on the drivers side A-pillar. What really bothers me is that my attitude monitor is right below this area. It has happened twice after long hard rains and only starts to leak when I start driving. I tightened the bolts after the first time it leaked and obviously it did no good.

I guess mine will be heading to the dealership soon.

·
IL Chapter VP
Ordered 10/30/20. 3500 SRW CCLB Laramie HO.
3,474 Posts
I had the same problem on my 05. They replaced the door seals and also took the winshield out and reinstalled with new sealants. After they replace the sealants and the door seals it never did it again.
Andy

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Same problem here and it was the clearance lights on the roof. they were over tightened from the factory and had cracks in them. Replaced all under warranty. The water came out of the pillar handle and all over my leg. It has been 2 years now and no problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same problem with them being broken, but my dealer would not replase the cab lights under warranty,so I ordered a set from Recon and did them myself.The first thing I noticted was that there was no sealent around the holes were they ran the wires,but it didn't take long to install,and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
My 2008 dose the same thing, still not fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this issue on my 07.5, and I took it to the stealership 4 times. Each time they "fixed" the problem, and each time after a good rain it would happen again. :doh: this truck does not have clearance lights. I got the stearn lecture about cleaning the drains, blah blah blah. I knew that was not the issue, since my rig is a bit of a garage queen. Then one day when a body shop friend of mine was cleaning up a little fender boo boo for me, I asked him to fix it, whatever it took. I was tired of my $50K truck smelling like a wet army tent. He dropped the roof panel, and took the time to fill the spill tray with water and watch it until it leaked. Here is what he found:

The drains on this truck run down the side pillars on both sides. They let out at a point inbetween the two hinges through a rubber drain that is molded to allow water to drain out but not allow road water in. The problem on mine, and I suspect on lots of these, was that rubber drain piece. According to my friend, it looked as if the molding machine that formed the end did not make the slits properly to allow water out. So what happens is when you get a great deal of heavy rain, enough to violate the seal around the sunroof and wind up in the drains, IF it rains long enough to fill up the drain tubes, which are hardly draining if at all, then it over flows the pan and leaks down the a pillar, or in the middle, wherever the lowest point of the pan happens to be on your particular truck. This is why it only shows up after an extensive test. The dealership does a standard drain blow, tests it for a few minutes and calls it good.

Hope this helps.

·
glacierdieselpower.com
1,170 Posts
This has been a known problem since 2003. Just pull the lights one at a time and run a bead of silicone around the holes in the roof to act as a "dam". Reinstall the lights and add silicone to the screws before installing. Now, here is the trick. Put a dab of silicone on top of the screw heads after tightening. The water fills up the recess around the screw and seeps in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
07.5 Mega water leak :(

I recently noticed that if I park my truck on level ground during the rain, water leaks in through the rear inside cab light. Took it to the dealer who pressurized the cab and did a soapy water leak test and discovered 2 leaks in the rear glass seal (I have a special order non-slider). FYI.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another problem that I have seen is the sunroof drains are not attached properly and the water will seep down the tubing. They usually are clear or black tubes running down the pillars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2007.5 is doing this same problem, but I do not have a sunroof or clearance lights. It happens every time it rains. I will inspect the door seal next time I go out to the truck, but if I don't see anything I'll probably remove the pillar and/or headliner to see if I can trace the source. I'd like to keep my interior dry when it rains. We'll see!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts