Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 07 3500 6.7 with 35000 miles it died on the side of the road i called crystler towing the took it to nearest dealership. i get a quote of 17800.24 to fix truck they said there is water in my fuel call my auto insurance and make a claim. state farm said its an waraanty issue. dealer ship said if i take my truck off lot it voids my waranty. its now been 10weeks on truck and had to hire a laywer. any help

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
been there done that... its not fun. i have a whole huge thread about it and everything that went on. 17800?? your lucky. i was around 20... it took over ten weeks to deal with everything and there was a lawyer involved. it was messed up... search the forums and youll find it.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
been there done that... its not fun. i have a whole huge thread about it and everything that went on. 17800?? your lucky. i was around 20... it took over ten weeks to deal with everything and there was a lawyer involved. it was messed up... search the forums and youll find it.
Man you really have had some back luck with your truck!! Time to trader in:banghead::doh:

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Guys,

This water in fuel crap is a bad deal and I would think you would need to resort back to the dealer where you filled your truck up last... Now that its 10 weeks gone by though you might have a hard time with that at the dealer where you bought the fuel...

I know for a fact when the fuel places do what is called roll the tanks, they add a bunch of chemical to the tank and circulate the fuel by means of a pump and/or props in tank. This makes the specific gavity of all the fluids such as water or whatever else is in the fuel all look the same as the fuel. This will enable them to sale the product, problem happens when they sell the fuel to a station that retails the fuel to all of us...

That fuel just sits in the tanks at the station and as it sits there longer, it stratifies in all its different specific gravities inside that tank. With water usually being the heaviest, its on or near the bottom, first few customers that come along at the wrong time buys up all that and so on... It is a really bad problem when the refineries roll their tanks with the chemical like this, or a station has a tank that can allow water to run into them from either a local rain or someone washing the driveway off. Not to mention those guys that water the fuel down for a little extra$$$...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Seems to me if there was water in the fuel the warning light should have come on and codes set in the ECU. If the light didn't come on then how are you supposed to know it needs service? So I would call Dodge (not the dealer) and ask them to investigate the ECU to see if codes were or were not set indicating WIF. If no codes you have a warranty beef because the WIF warning system didn't function, which led to the expensive failure. You're screwed if it shows the WIF light was on.

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
Did you ever use any additive in your fuel? Also did you ever see the Water In Fuel light come on?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
i never had any additives added... and as soon as the water light came on it was too late. i had samples from the station and a receipt stating i had just purchased the fuel, it took a minute though for the fuel people to come in and take a sample from the tanks of the station and by the time they had got to it the station had already refilled their tanks and it read a "normal" amount of water and whatnot so i wasnt able to exactly pull that off... the only thing that worked was the fact that over 100 vehicles had problems from the same station that week... you can say our dealer was really busy after that....

·
Registered
37 Posts
where in norcal are u and what station was it? extremely worried now

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I would like to know how on earth they can come up with such a huge bill to cover the compromised parts? How much do the components that may be damaged cost? There is the injectors and the CP3 pump...what else would be compromised? Sounds like they are padding their bill to me. Are they holding your warranty hostage if you do not let them perform what repairs they believe are needed to fix your truck up? Sounds like you need to get a lawyer unfortunately. Good luck getting her back on the road!

·
Registered
39 Posts
So when a water-in-fuel failure happens, what does it feel like?

My light came on, I drove for about 10 miles home, emptied it the next morning. The water light stayed on (and I drained that filter for a few minutes to make sure all the water got out). Truck ran great as always after that. However, that afternoon after about 50 miles the truck's engine light and charge light cam on, and the truck started to run like it was missing half of the engine, really rough and no power. Luckly I was about 2 miles from home, made it. Truck did not turn on after that.

I pulled the codes, and they were 3 injectors open circuit and 1 ecu internal performance failure, in addition to the water in fuel code. Called Chrysler Roadside, took it to the dealer. The ECU needs replacing as well as 3 injectors :/

So I'm suspicious what really happened...

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
willits, ca. 150 miles north of san fran

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
redwood tree station. its the furthest north station as youre leaving town, on the left.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
or the first on the right if coming into town headed south

1 - 13 of 13 Posts