Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the drain on the fuel filter is dumping fuel on the ground. I'm 1500 miles from home, is there a filter out there that i can purchase that has a built in drain? I know there is one for the first gen truck. But i cant seem to find one for a 95. Please help! cant drive truck with it leakin this bad.

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
might be a dumb question but did you try and close the drain??

· Registered
1,673 Posts
The bf7538 and the bf720 appear to be the same size and thread. In an emergency you could try one just to get you home. Geno's garage has the sensor if that is the source of the leak.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bf7538 and the bf720 appear to be the same size and thread. In an emergency you could try one just to get you home. Geno's garage has the sensor if that is the source of the leak.
Thanks for the help but those will not work, the gasket is smaller by quite a bit. But i did finally find a filter that has a built in petcock works perfect, napa 3391 and i'm sure you could cross that to other brands. I will never use the stock setup ever again. I cant recall ever gettin more that a drop or two of water when changing filter. Thanks for all your help.

· Registered
1,673 Posts
That crosses to a bf7528 which has the same gasket as the two I mentioned. I'm just pulling these stats out of an old Baldwin book I have.

I know what it's like to be 1000km from home on a cold, dark, wet, snowy night with no assistance in sight. I was in MN one such night with my son's 95 Dodge Cummins when it plugged the fuel filter completely. I had a spare but with the mods to his system I couldn't get the darn thing on in the dark. No matter what I did there wasn't enough room for the filter and the sensor. I could get the filter on but not with the sensor on it or after it. The only way that I was keeping my hands warm was to place them on the rapidly cooling engine. After an hour of that game I asked a fellow patron of the fuel/food stop if he had a saw or a knife. Lucky enough he had a knife and after 10 minutes of scoring the water sensor I was able to shorten it and fit it on with the filter.

Glad you found a solution.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That crosses to a bf7528 which has the same gasket as the two I mentioned. I'm just pulling these stats out of an old Baldwin book I have.

I know what it's like to be 1000km from home on a cold, dark, wet, snowy night with no assistance in sight. I was in MN one such night with my son's 95 Dodge Cummins when it plugged the fuel filter completely. I had a spare but with the mods to his system I couldn't get the darn thing on in the dark. No matter what I did there wasn't enough room for the filter and the sensor. I could get the filter on but not with the sensor on it or after it. The only way that I was keeping my hands warm was to place them on the rapidly cooling engine. After an hour of that game I asked a fellow patron of the fuel/food stop if he had a saw or a knife. Lucky enough he had a knife and after 10 minutes of scoring the water sensor I was able to shorten it and fit it on with the filter.

Glad you found a solution.
Well i had both filters in my hand and the gasket was at least a 1/4 inch smaller. It may have sealed but it didn't have a drain. But it would probably work in a pinch. But the one i got on there now is the one i will use from now on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.