Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck in question is not a cummins, but my question is a general diesel type that I know someone here can answer so bear with my on the "off topic" please:w:

I have a 1983 Ford Ranger with a 2.2L non turbo diesel. I bought the thing not running, but of course the seller says "It won't take much at all to make her run".

I got a good battery hooked up and the water in fuel light came on. I can assume the thing has been sitting for a while, so I'm sure there's water in there.

What is my best approach at getting the water out and starting this thing?

I was thinking about running a pump line into the bottom of the tank and pumping until I saw actual fuel - rather than nasty 1/2 water 1/2 fuel.

My concern is I still won't get all the water out.

Is my only option to drop the tank and dispose of (I gotta find a place to take the old fuel then) the old fuel??

Any ideas are much appreciated as I am a newbie when it comes to diesels.

Oh - and just to add a bit more confusion - I don;t have the time or $$ to really keep the truck and build it like I want, but it's not selling so I want to get it to run with the least amount of time and $$ as possible - WITHOUT turning into a shady seller of course

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Best way is to drop the tank, and on a couple trucks I did, I drilled a hole in rear/outside corner. I did it that way so I could get every drop of fluid out. Then I soldered a pit-**** where the hole was. Hasn't leaked yet and if I got fuel contamination again, I didn't have to drop the tank again. When you do get fresh fuel in, unhook the line before the filter and give the tank a shot of air to help push the fuel through the lines. Stick a new filter on, and you should be set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts