Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know I am new to cummins, Not diesels. So I got this 12v and went to the car wash to just hose of the eng compartment alittle. When I left I had a water in fuel light on. .Truck isnt running funny or anything. I tried unhooking the batts to get it to go off and that worked for all of 3 seconds. Did I trip a sensor. Where is it. Thanks.

Daniel

·
Registered
347 Posts
water in fuel

it means u have water in ur fuel u just need to drain it out there should be a valve u pull and it will drain the water out

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
it means u have water in ur fuel u just need to drain it out there should be a valve u pull and it will drain the water out

usually not. when you wash the motor, the sensor gets wet and shows the light. it will go away in a few days. you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
661 Posts
go ahead and change your fuel filter (if you havent in a while) so your sensor drys out. it could have worked its self loose. that happened to me so everytime it would rain my light would come on.

·
Registered
347 Posts
then why would it say water in fuel its there to tell ya you got water in your fuel. every time we have a truck come in our shop with the light on i drain it and it goes off and its fine i dont know i have never had a problem with mine but if you guys have had this and it fixed by that way then maybe i need to power wash mine its leaking and i cant find where its so covered so ill have to look out for that and keep it in mind then

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I hope you dont only wash your engine as often as you change fuel filters....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
then why would it say water in fuel its there to tell ya you got water in your fuel. every time we have a truck come in our shop with the light on i drain it and it goes off and its fine i dont know i have never had a problem with mine but if you guys have had this and it fixed by that way then maybe i need to power wash mine its leaking and i cant find where its so covered so ill have to look out for that and keep it in mind then

no, its just water in the sensor. I thought that too the first time I washed the motor, drained the fuel and the light was still there. water will not get in the fuel from merely washing your motor.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys who told me about the sensor. It is the one on the bottom of the filter then?? I just changed the fuel filter BTW. I will pull that sensor and blow it out with some high pressure air.

For the others, There is no water in my fuel. I make my own fuel and have goldenrod water seperation systems.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im glad you dont live near me. If I had a mechanic drain out all of my fuel just because that light and not check anything else I think I would kick his dumb ***.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thank you guys who told me about the sensor. It is the one on the bottom of the filter then?? I just changed the fuel filter BTW. I will pull that sensor and blow it out with some high pressure air.

For the others, There is no water in my fuel. I make my own fuel and have goldenrod water seperation systems.

yea you can blow it out, or just wait a couple of days and it will go away on its own.

thats why I never take any vehicle to a "mechanic" :lol3:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Im glad you dont live near me. If I had a mechanic drain out all of my fuel just because that light and not check anything else I think I would kick his dumb ***.
i wasnt talkin about drainin the hole tank. they have a seperater on them u can drain on the side of it. like the fords have them on the frame rail on the fuel conditioner

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It got really hot out the other day and I guess dried out the sensor before I could get to it to blow it out. Thanks guys. Its extinguished.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and just for the sake of it, any mechanic that woiuld go through all that trouble for a dummy light and not look at the underlying cause is STILL an idiot in my book. The FIRST thing you look at is the sensor if there is one. Thats what all the HELPFUL people on the thread said and they were right.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Ok. This is the last post here. There was no water in the fuel. I know this as I make my own fuel. I have the best seperators to draw the water out. Therefore the dummy light and your dumba$$ self were wrong. I knew it was from the engine wash or I wouldnt have asked where the sensor was. You sir are an idiot and now everyone here knows it. Yes mods that was a personal attack. Because if he is allowed to post his wrong "theories". Then I am going to post personal attacks.

Guy, I know what the problem was.
I already posted my thank you note to the non retarded members who helped me.
Your come backs are small and retarded.
Dont post on my thread again or PM me.
im glad you were able to relate that the water in fuel light corrosponded with the wash down of your engine

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
this thread is now locked

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.