Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how u guys are installing your wastegates. I know they are bolted on the exhaust manifold front or rear port and dumped atmosphric or rejoined. My question is are you hooking the boost pressure hose up to it or just letting the exhaust pressure open it and if the hose is conected where are u hooking it up at. Also what pressure springs are you using and how areyou dialing it in.

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Waste gates by definition do not use just exhaust pressure to open them. So we have full boost to open and regulated boost to help keep closed. The boost pressures operate on a diaphragm in the top hat of the gate. Spring pressure is selected for the gate by the builder. It will depend on the size of the gate.

· Registered
3,180 Posts
You can dial em in with a boost controller and where mine is tied in is in the intake horn. I don't have stock system but my manifolds gated. My spring is a 22 psi spring in a 38mm tial and I don't have a controller on it right now.. you will want a drive psi gauge to know what's going on as well.

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
to get DP readings youwill need a boost gauge and install it like you would an egt Pyro into the exhaust manifold then run copper tubing up to the sending unit or to the gauge depending on which style gauge you have (mechanical or electric) now you will see DP when the exhaust brake is activated but thats ok because the other 2 components are not there (fuel/timing and heat) it takes all 3 to put our Headgaskets at danger but the EB only works when your not in the throttle so you remove those 2 from the 3 components

· Banned
57 Posts
I have mine set up to open on DRIVE PRESSURE against the valve.

8 lb spring, boost to the top of the diaphram and regulated down so it opens at 40 lbs.

I might change the spring and ditch the hose from the intake horn to the top of the gate to make it fool proof and all mechanical.

I dont want to have to think about it ever again once I weld the discharge into my down pipe.

My exh brake still works but not as well set up this way since my gate opens when the exh brake tries to work. I dont really care about the exh brake, I bought yellow stuff pads and my truck stops 100 times better than the soft oem pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.