Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 03 cummins, yesterday i installed a BD waste-gate. after removal of the factory wg, i reached up and was able to move the flap on the downpipe very easily. after installing the BD, i went for a drive and noticed some problems, i have very bad turbo lag. my boost ga. reads mab 4psi if that when doing 60mph as where before it would hold about 10psi. and my egts stay around 850, normally 700ish. after noticing this we took the bd waste gate back off. now realizing that the valve or flap in the downpipe is very hard to move.. almost seems like its staying open??? i'm not sure what to do?
>>some input thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a WAG, did they send you a mechanical waste gate?

Pete

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same as stock i belive, vacuum? just alot bigger.......

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come someone at least tell me if the wastegate should move freely, when the linkage is dissconnected... and what would cause it to be very hard to move??

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Did you bend anything on the linkage or get it out of alignment?
Lower boost and higher EGT's are a sign that the wastegate was probably not closed, allowing exhaust to escape through the WG and not spool the turbo as before.
The wastegate operates off of pressure-not vacuum. Shouldn't open untill the set pressure is reached.

Randy

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you bend anything on the linkage or get it out of alignment?
Lower boost and higher EGT's are a sign that the wastegate was probably not closed, allowing exhaust to escape through the WG and not spool the turbo as before.
The wastegate operates off of pressure-not vacuum. Shouldn't open untill the set pressure is reached.

Randy
everything should still be fine. my friend had to force the new linkage on a little bit for the bd wasegate to get them connected. thats exactly whats its doing and thats what we figured.. i might end up pulling my downpipe off tomarro, if i cant figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts