Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've read this forum until my eyes hurt regarding increasing HP by tweaking a stock motor. I've installed a BHAF and would like to increase efficiency and MPG. Also, I pull a 4500 (empty) three horse trailer on a regular basis. Can someone guide me on adjusting the fuel plate, boost, or? please. Currently I'm not able to purchase add-on options so it would be stock modifications for now. I am researching 4" exhaust to allow the motor to exhale better (esp after adding the BHAF). Words of wisdom from the forum would be greatly appreciated (also will add gauges as soon as I can afford them!)

And a side note, I knew nothing when I first came here. what a resource this is!! Any all you folks putting up with the questions we newbies come up with. I thank you ever so much...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, an air filter/exhaust is a start. As you increase HP/Boost with your motor, you'll obviously need to upgrade the air intake and exit to get the cool air in, hot air out. If I were you, I'd probably start with a fuel plate. Seems to be the easiest way to get good ponies outta that 12V slug. Do some searching and you can probably find a very detailed write-up, but it's very simple. If I had more time(if it wasn't almost 5 o clock quittin time) I'd try to explain it, but be patient and some REAL 12V guru's will chime in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i would suggest opening up the exhaust straight pipe or 4" then slide the stock fuel plate all the way forward and the afc housing all the way forward and unless you are going to upgrade your clutch thats probably about all the fuel you will want

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
Gauges first unless you can afford a new engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With a diesel you need to look at air in and air out as a start. If you slide the fuel plate all the way up you will increase power and smoke.

Sliding the fuel plate is really easy. Remove the air intake with a 10mm (i think). There are 4 bolts on the heater grid, one for the dip stick and another that mounts to hold in all in place. You will need a #15 (i think) torx to pound into the top of one of the bolts to remove the AFC. Two of the others needs a socket and the last a big flat blade screw driver. I used my Ryobi impact. Under the AFC you will need to use the big flat blade again. I had to use my Ryobi again here as well. Once these screws are loosened push the fuel plate forward and tighten it back down. Should take all of about 10 minutes. Look at the passenger side mirror as you take off and watch the smoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts