Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new owner of a stock 04' 2500 Shortbed Quad Cab w/75K miles on it and it's my first diesel. So far I LOVE IT! It get GREAT milage compared to my old gasser, about 19mpg regular driving and 10.5 towing my 23ft toy hauler fully loaded which is about 8500lbs. I am hoping to get some opinions on if I should either purchase an extended warranty, or put that cash into the engine and get better MPGs/Power etc.? If I get the warranty are there any products out there that don't void a warranty? Are there any "quirks" (A/C, electronics, etc.) with the 04's that may cost me $$$ down the line that would be headed off with having a warranty? Any input for the "newbie" would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
:welcome:

i dont do extended warranty and i feel best when passing on the opportunity to purchase one on a cummins

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not worried about the engine as it's reputation is totally solid, thats why I opted for Cummins! I am just a little concerned as my old gas dodge needed an entire A/C system replaced at around 85K and that was NOT covered and that hit me for around $2K UGH! THANKS!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello! I am a new owner of a stock 04' 2500 Shortbed Quad Cab w/75K miles on it and it's my first diesel. So far I LOVE IT! It get GREAT milage compared to my old gasser, about 19mpg regular driving and 10.5 towing my 23ft toy hauler fully loaded which is about 8500lbs. I am hoping to get some opinions on if I should either purchase an extended warranty, or put that cash into the engine and get better MPGs/Power etc.? If I get the warranty are there any products out there that don't void a warranty? Are there any "quirks" (A/C, electronics, etc.) with the 04's that may cost me $$$ down the line that would be headed off with having a warranty? Any input for the "newbie" would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup
I opted out of the extended warranty, as someone pointed out, the Cummins is a very solid engine, and most of (if any) issues are related to the lift pump. As and added measure, I would get the tranny checked out before installing any power adding mods to it.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
that would be the first thing to do is the tranny youll be glad in the long run

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
with just a few mods and a programmer i would say start out with a valvebody and torque converter

·
HI
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
i actually have a 04.5 dodge with 100k on it....i messed up my trans(what a suprise) but i opted on a warranty....i paid 1700 bucks for a 3 yr 36k mile warranty....covers everything......transmission imput and out put shaft(included) along with litteraly everything else...everything in the engine except the block(unless rotating assemble caused the failure) all the gaskets and all the electronics inside the truck like power seats and what not.....also i went to my local performance shop (heavymetalperformance) in illinois...and said they are a certified warranty shop and they will take the money the warranty group gives me for repairs and i can just invest in aftermarket parts....i think it was a good deal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.